Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Happy Canada Day

Yesterday I bustled around the house until the time came to sit down with my pencil to start circling subjects and verbs. My hand trembled and my head ached as I worked through the document. When I was done my patient teacher, Carm, looked it over. Tears of frustration threatened to stain the worn sheet of paper as he kindly pointed out my errors - why didn't I learn this when I was in grade school, now it is hard and makes me feel stupid. All that said, there was improvement.

A sea of red shirts flooded the hangar floor at the Aviation Museum's Canada Day celebration. We had meant to go mid morning to meet with my family, but the steady rain discouraged us. And it looked unlikely that the two events I was interested in would take place: the ceiling was too low for the Snowbirds and F18 to do their flypast; and the parachuting demo needed a high ceiling and dry sky.

I climbed into bed with my tablet and writing book, and with the pitter pattering of rain lulling me I started to work. I was on a roll when Carm convinced me that we should give the outing a go. Rain chased us into town but took a brief break when we got to the museum. The crowds were heavy especially inside away from the on again/off again rain. We looked and searched but didn't see even a hair of the family. They must have been hiding in a secret spot far from the maddening crowd. We enjoyed ourselves regardless.

Happy Canada Day! As an aside, it was wonderful to see the diversity of people proudly wearing their red Canada shirts.

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land, glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee;
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

No comments: