Monday, June 29, 2015

Will Keep Trying

I must have been asleep for much of my schooling as I remember nothing about even the simplest of grammar rules.

I purchased a book about writing on the weekend that has 50 techniques to become a better writer and includes exercises with each section. I was pretty excited to read the first section which discusses identifying the subject and verb in a sentence and positioning them for best effect. Simple right? The first exercise was to go through some articles in a newspaper and identify subjects and verbs. I had no idea what I was doing and had to get Carm to help. I was hopeless so went online to study up. Two of the sites had quizzes - the results were dismal. I guess I have to practice more.

I will keep trying! (subject = I, verb = will try?) What is “keep”? Maybe "will keep" is the verb? Or is it "will keep trying"?

I try. I will try. I have tried. I’m hopeless. I was hopeless. Hopefully, I won’t always be hopeless.

The other day I was laughing in my my head about karaoke and how silly it is (not that I wouldn’t have a go if I could sing a little bit), and then thought to myself that I was being mean, and that my writing was a karaoke of literature. I’m not a great writer but I can pretend with my internet karaoke machine blog.

"The past is always tense, the future perfect.”  ~Zadie Smith

No comments: