Tuesday, April 17, 2018

a recap

Power is due on at 4pm this afternoon, but honestly we are in good shape for many days. We have wood for the fireplace, (which keeps the house toasty warm, especially in these just below freezing temps). We have lots of water for flushing as we collected gallons from the melting roof yesterday. We have lots of bottled water for drinking. We have a bathtub of clean water for dogs and dishes. We have a big water jug with more water for washing up.

I washed my hair with just a bowl of water.

The one thing we are missing is a way of cooking and making coffee. That will be remedied asap with a little butane burner. For now Carm is driving to the Tim Horton’s for the brown elixar and sundry other foods.

Our days at sea seem like a long time ago… the shock of going from being waited on hand and foot to the deprivation of power has ensured that we had no gentle transition.

I can barely even remember our last few days but I’ll try to remember bits, just for my own benefit.

Thursday was formal night (but I think I’ve covered that already). That was on our last port day: Cozumel, Mexico. I was full-on into a cold though and really didn’t feel like dressing up with stockings, etc., but I choked it up and got dressed anyway. I can’t remember what I ate for supper except that I had an extra entre of lobster tail! The people sitting at our table are just a blur - we met so many people over the 14 days that very few of them stand out.

We ate one night with John who we christened ‘Hat’ as he wore a cap at supper every night - and we thought that someone in his 80s should know better, along with his much younger wife Claire. One night it was 2 Canadian nurses, other nights: 3 Southern women with beautiful accents; a couple from Bowling Green, Rick and Carol - he was an insurance agent, she was quiet; Frankie and Herb from Texas - she was in the Voice of the Sea; Richard and Mary originall from New York city; Earl from Newfoundland; and many other people who have faded from my memory. It was a scrambler of dinner companions.

We met up with Chuck and Mary for supper again on Saturday. They are a fun couple from Colorado that we met in the piazza one afternoon. Our political views aligned, and they are also both from the IT world so we had lots in common. They are also dog lovers so could understand how much we were missing our pooches (and Grace).

On the sea day we slept in, ate breakfast, shopped, went on a tour of the theatre, had a 3 course lunch, had a rest in our cabin, listened to some classical music in the piazza, and then ate another 3 course supper.

I had so many fantastic meals that I can’t even remember much of what we ate… the highlight may have been the creme brule, or maybe the scallops, or maybe all the shrimp, or perhaps the beef. The lamb curry was good, as was the angel hair pasta wrapped in roasted eggplant. The veal stuffed ravioli in a cream sauce topped with melted cheese was delish. So much good food that I had to let out a belt buckle on my jeans, and my legs felt like sausages in the tight denim. The news on the scale this morning was not good - I managed to gain 5lbs, which I suppose is not bad considering all the eating :-0

Our next cruise is in Jan 2019 and we are already looking at one in the Med for Nov 2019 - we just need to talk our lovely pet sitter into agreeing to another 2 weeks.

Photos to come in another post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment