Monday, April 29, 2019

an almost perfect day

It was an almost perfect day for walking around and gawking at the sights in Old Montreal yesterday. With so many streets paved with bricks and lined with old stone buildings we could have been in Europe - perhaps we could stay home this fall and visit our own cities for some history!


The drive there was easy with just one major slowdown as we entered the city… coming home, not so good. A 1 ½ hour drive turned into 2 ½ hours as one of the highways was closed forcing us to traverse a good part of Montreal on St. Laurent Avenue - a long road through many neighborhoods. We drove through Chinatown, Little Italy, and others. Interesting, but long. We seemed to hit every red light along the route. How many? Countless.



A visit to my brother Olaf was the main reason for our visit. We met him near his work which is right beside the Notre-Dame basilica in Old Montreal. We walked around and then visited over lunch - smoked meat poutine for me.


A lovely day.

When we got home we didn’t even have to feed the pets as Pat had been in and given everyone their supper, so I crashed on the sofa, every fibre of my being vibrating with after motion. I was still suffering the effects when I went to bed, even with having had a glass of wine! I can’t imagine what shape I’d be in if I was the one doing the driving.


Today the clouds have raced together to mask the rays of the sun. I did get out the few times when the sun was shining to check the garlic and give the dogs a bit of a wander. And when I wasn’t doing that, my eyes were glued to my tiny tablet devouring Wuthering Heights.


“When spring came, even the false spring, there were no problems except where to be happiest. The only thing that could spoil a day was people and if you could keep from making engagements, each day had no limits. People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself.”
~Ernest Hemingway

No comments: