Tuesday, April 30, 2019

devouring each word

I have barely been able to tear myself away from my e-reader. I am devouring each word as if it were my last breath. I’m in the thick of ‘Wuthering Heights’ and am enjoying every syllable.

I was saying to Kirsten last night that I haven’t had the attention span to read for quite some time - a year, maybe even more, but that somehow I can sustain interest for extended periods now. I thought that all the short internet news articles, facebook, and other snippets of reading have shrunk my attention span, until it was as small as a gnat.

But now, I can read for ages, and not just light hearted fare, but real writing. As I was telling her all of this I realized that it was likely due to the brain swelling time spent working on the website. I had to really break my brain on that and it seems it was a good thing. The exercise strengthened my noggin.

Kirsten had just read an article about this very thing, confirming my suspicions. Now I have to keep at it!


Kabira has been prescribed an antiseptic mouthwash once a day, but upon reading my favorite health website (nutritionfacts.org) I learned that green tea is as good as the strong stuff we’ve been using. So I’ll keep using the strong stuff at bedtime, but use green tea a few times a day - that otta clean up her mouth a bit. In fact, I’ll use it on all the dogs. If only I could get them to swish it in their mouths! I’ll bet if I put my mind to it I could figure out a way for them to hold it in their mouths for a moment. Well… maybe not.


We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.”
~Sam Keen

No comments: