Wednesday, April 10, 2019

ya mon

A horse stood at the side of the road, its head low under the weight of the thick rope around its neck, a metaphor for the Jamacian man.


We were hurtling along a road crammed into a little bus on our way to Reggie Hill. We weren’t exactly sure of what we had signed up for but it sounded good on paper. Finally, after 1 ½ hours we turned down a little road and lurched to a stop. As I tumbled out of the bus I could see that we were somewhere nice. A quick moving river rushed past chairs laid out in the grass. Large trees provided shade.


We staked out two chairs and a tiny table and were soon served glasses of red rum punch. Oh my… little plates of food were handed out over the afternoon… followed by more punch...

A guy played the steel drums accompanied by canned music from a boom-box. Lots of Reggie and other island music blared, our limbs moved involuntarily and soon we were both up dancing.



A young woman and young man did some folk dancing in the grassy circle in front of the musician. They were fantastic. Somehow I only got a photo of the young man… I wonder why?



I waded into the river, Carm dunked himself right in.


It was a long drive back, and I’ve gotta say, there was a lot of garbage along the road. I saw more water bottles than I’ll use in my whole life. But despite that, we had a great time in Jamaica.

Once we were back at the port we shopped around for some hot sauce for my dad; we found some but I’m not sure it is the same as the one he loves. We didn’t shop for long though, the long drive had us hankering for a cool swim, so we dashed back to the ship and into the pool.

Tonight we skipped the table for 6, opting for a two-top and a quick burger for supper. We dorked around until the show at 8 (the comedian again), and now we are basically beat.

Ya mon! No problem!

No comments: