Wednesday, July 24, 2019

meet Adia

Introducing our new family member, Adia! I had been looking for a puppy with no luck until Tina, a Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder mentioned that she had an 8 month old female pup with an overbite. Well, we are no strangers to overbites in RR - Kabira had a huge one, and the thought of bypassing the puppy stage seemed like a good compromise given our travelling plans.


So… we got prepared and tonight went to meet her with the intention of bringing her home. She was super friendly, winning us over in an instant. We did the formalities and helped her into the backseat of the truck.



We named her Adia which is Swahili for ‘treasured gift’.


Hi, my name is Addi or maybe Adia, maybe both. Tonight strange people came to see me to take me away from my home. If I had known, maybe I wouldn’t have been so friendly with them, but they seem okay so maybe it’s alright. We went on a long car ride - I was a bit scared but the people kept telling me how good I was so I started to feel more brave. I even fell asleep for a while it was so comfortable. They said I was a good traveller, whatever that means.

When I got out of the truck I could smell other dogs, but not the dogs that I’m used to. It was very scary so the nice man told me that it would be okay. The lady came outside with two strange looking dogs who seemed angry to see me. I was so scared I tried to run away. The lady walked ahead with the two dogs and we followed behind. Soon I felt brave enough to sniff them. The little brown dog growled at me but I wasn’t too scared of him. We walked around for a while and then we were all walking close together and I felt that someday they might be my friends.

We went into the house which was very strange and full of things to smell and see. There was so much stuff that needed me to check out but luckily nothing dangerous. I ran around for quite a while to see if there was a way to my home. There isn’t a way to my old house and my old dog friends. It was all so scary but at the same time exciting. I felt happy and scared at the same time and I couldn’t make my tail stop wagging, especially when the people talked to me.

There’s this thing that looks like a giant dog bed on legs that the people tried to get me on. I thought it was pretty exciting and wagged my tail like crazy until I got brave enough to jump up. Even the little brown dog whose name is Spike let me lie down near him. The lady sat up there beside me so I felt calm and went to sleep for a while.

Oh. The people tell me I’m good all the time and give me treats. It is amazing and very fun. It might be okay to live here for a while.

I’m tired now and want to sleep beside the lady.

~Adia




"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
~Plato

No comments: