Sunday, July 28, 2019

a glimmer of hope

We had the pleasure of Jo Ellen and Don’s company yesterday and it’s a good thing we did. Like Spike, we seem to be able to only sit around feeling sad. We needed a diversion and I thought that Spike would benefit as well. Talking and laughing and reminiscing was good.


Things are going so well with Aida. She’s fitting in much better than I had hoped. I hold back ½ of her breakfast and supper and use those kibbles as rewards for learning a hundred different things: sit, leave it, down, walking on leash, not barging through doors, lying down, come (the most important of all and that gets special treats). Everything seems so easy. She’s not mobbing me for treats but now sits nicely. She asked to go outside this morning. She settles well in her crate at bedtime and again in the early morning after a potty trip outside. She is respectful of Spike. Really, we couldn’t ask for more.

We all decided last night that she’s a combination of Kabira and Bella. She has Kabira’s sleek build and good looks, and Bella’s loving temperament. We really lucked out and can’t thank her breeder enough for trusting us with her.


She is busy though! I think we have to add one more trip around the field to her day as she probably isn’t getting enough exercise. Now that she’s off leash she’ll be able to run around more too. She’s great off-leash, checking in often (gizzard) and racing back when we call her (heart). She had a few flashes of crazy dog circles :-)


It’s me, Spike. I don’t understand why my sisters aren’t here. I saw Bella lying still in a deep hole and knew she wouldn’t be coming back. But why? I miss her and Kabira so much, sometimes I cry. Laura and Carm seem worried and pet me but it doesn’t help much. Grandma was here yesterday morning. I love her but she didn’t bring my friends back. Jo Ellen came to see me yesterday too. I was happy to see her for a few minutes but then all I could do was lie around feeling sad.


That dog that looks like Kabira isn’t helping me at all. I don’t want to like her and wish she’d just go away. Laura is always doing stuff with her like she used to with me. She’s not smart like me so it takes more treats. It’s not fair. But then I remember that I’d be alone if she left so I think she might be okay. Today we went into the field together and for some reason I felt a bit better. We even ran around a little bit, and she likes to smell the ground too. It was fun for a few minutes. Maybe I feel a bit more hopeful now.


Spike


I visited Carm’s mom in the hospital today… the prognosis isn’t good.


You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.”
― J.K. Rowling,

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

A glimmer of hope is a good start:)