Saturday, July 27, 2019

nothing seems right

My heart is breaking… not for me but for Spike. He is a mess. I mentioned yesterday that he was in a state when we got home from our outings. He seemed to settle a bit but gosh, last night at bedtime he couldn’t get himself to relax to come to bed. After ½ hour  he was up on the bed with me, but that only lasted a few hours. In the middle of the night he was up pacing and crying - I thought he might have to go outside so took him out. Once we were back in the bedroom he paced and paced, crying for over an hour. Finally he came up on the bed so I curled myself around him with my arm over his back and he fell asleep.



Today he came out to the field for a little walk and now hasn’t moved from his sofa. He stares into space. Even Grandma couldn’t cheer him up. He is the poster boy for a depressed dog.

This afternoon I could hear crying as he lay prone on the sofa. I cried for him and for me and for Carm...

Adia meanwhile is getting more comfortable around the house. She started playing a bit, leaping around in that funny puppy way. She’s still my shadow and doesn’t let me out of her sight. On this morning’s walk around the field we decided it was safe to let her off leash. Her recall is coming along well, and honestly we are fully fenced along the road and partially into the cow pasture so the risk isn’t great. She’s at the stage now that when something worries her she runs to my side. She did great. Oh, it may help that I have a bag of hearts & gizzards with me ;-)

We’ve done a hundred sits so she’s getting pretty good with a hand signal, tomorrow I’ll add the verbal in. She probably already knew how to sit but it seems she’s having to relearn a bunch of stuff.


It was Carm’s night at the hospital and in a flash I had the brilliant idea to invite my Mom out for the night. We had a lovely evening talking about all sorts of things that only we (and Kirsten)  would find interesting. The evening flew by.


“I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
~J.R.R. Tolkien

2 comments:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

We have had a tough few months with our dog. It is very hard to watch them suffer and can only guess what they are feeling. Finally after a lot of expensive tests and meds,she is doing better. She is an old dog with mulitple issues, so we just enjoy the good days that are left.

Suzanne Charron-Greco said...

Laura
Moca last year was in so much pain: shaking, not eating, walking on three legs... when he tried to move, he would yelp and barely make it up. I saw three different vets, did x-rays, blood tests and all thru could say was arthritis.
Then I went to see a fellow who works with animals and horses, like a naturopath. He did light/laser therapy twice and gave me two bottles of natural medicine and Moca improved and has been good every since.
Don’t give up, please.