Tuesday, September 22, 2020

summer is over

 It’s Tuesday afternoon already… the weather is fine for the first day of fall: not super warm but with a bright blue sky. On a normal day I would experience a sort of euphoria with such a lovely day, but alas, I can barely conjure up a smile. Instead of bringing me joy, the fine weather is bringing me down. I’m not sure why. Perhaps it’s a bit of a letdown after a few days of not quite hypomania, or maybe I’m not sleeping well and am tired, maybe it’s the keen knowledge of the upcoming long lonely winter. Whatever it is, most of my energy is spent trying to stay out of bed.



I did manage to make a batch of oatcakes yesterday. Peanut butter & banana was a new flavour combination - I can’t say I’m super excited about them. I think the best is blueberry almond. They aren’t exactly a delicious muffin though, more of a obviously healthy breakfast.


I’d love to find a recipe for the banana spice muffins that I LOVED at work.


For supper yesterday I got it together enough to make a new recipe. The Salisbury steak meatballs on garlic pasta were delicious and just the sort of comfort food that I wanted. The leftovers will be served over mashed potatoes instead of pasta.


Tonight after hemming and hawing I was inspired by a recipe for chicken soup with potatoes and cabbage. It turned out well, which is a good thing as I have enough for 2 more suppers.



So that was yesterday and today. Sunday we went off to Canadian Tire for a sewer fitting, stopped at LCBO to get some non-IPA beer, and grabbed a slightly disgusting hamburger from McDonalds - the excuse was Carm wanted some french fries for Grace. We did have a fun visit with Olaf & Stephanie in the evening.


We just got home from a dash to the grocery store in the city. Lots of things on sale to embellish the pantry shelves. Will there be another lockdown? I want to be prepared...



Headlines: Over 200,000 dead in the US. Ottawa had the biggest increase of cases since the beginning of the pandemic.



“The first flash of color always excites me as much as the first frail, courageous bloom of spring. This is, in a sense, my season--sometimes warm and, when the wind blows an alert, sometimes cold. But there is a clarity about September. On clear days, the sun seems brighter, the sky more blue, the white clouds take on marvelous shapes; the moon is a wonderful apparition, rising gold, cooling to silver; and the stars are so big. The September storms--the hurricane warnings far away, the sudden gales, the downpour of rain that we have so badly needed here for so long--are exhilarating, and there's a promise that what September starts, October will carry on, catching the torch flung into her hand.”

~Faith Baldwin


No comments: