Monday, January 11, 2021

millennium falcon

 It’s 4:30 ish on a grey day. I’m perched on a stool at the counter while I wait for cauliflower to cook in the instant pot, it takes just 3 min to make them perfect for mashing. The white brains are on sale this week so I’ll freeze a few. I’m cutting down carbs for a little while in an attempt to lose the rest of my covid weight (yikes!) and the weight I put on last year on our transatlantic cruise (yes, I know but covid you know). Oh, and the weighty side-effect of baking 7 kinds of Christmas cookies has to somehow disappear. Carm is along for the ride whether he likes it or not!



Last night we had perhaps the best pot roast I’ve ever made - it practically melted in our mouths.  We got it from our neighbors who graze their cows on our land so it is as home-grown as it could get without me having given it a name. I made mashed cauliflower for the first time to go with it - an excellent stand-in for stodgy potatoes (and hence the dash to the grocery store for more).



Other than that I’ve been up to nothing. I did something to my back a few days ago… excruciating muscle spasms accompany most types of movement. Yesterday was the worst day - believe me it was no pretty sight watching me crawl out of the bathtub! Thankfully I’m having improvement today.


Strangely, the most comfortable place is on a stool at the counter, although getting perched and dismounted brings a lot of grunting. Luckily our virtual visits are at the counter - at the end of our 5 hour ‘zoom’ last night I felt some improvement (or was that the Legendario?).



We were talking about the Millennium Falcon that Olaf unearthed from my parents basement a while back and gosh, I was sure I’d recently run across a few photos of that Christmas, maybe even one of him opening the gift. I had to look then and there and sure enough I found them!


I didn’t take the photos out of the album and of course they are ancient and faded so the quality isn’t great, but one thing for sure, two little boy’s excitement still shines through.



"Write it on your heart

that every day is the best day in the year.

He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day

who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.


Finish every day and be done with it.

You have done what you could.

Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in.

Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day;

begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit

to be cumbered with your old nonsense.


This new day is too dear,

with its hopes and invitations,

to waste a moment on the yesterdays.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson~

No comments: