Friday, January 15, 2021

the brightest stars or what am I doing right

 This was all meant to be posted yesterday but we ended up on a ‘zoom’ for a few hours :-) so I didn’t have a chance to proofread before bed. No worries, I was happy to be visiting and gosh, the words are still on the page ready to be posted. I’ve given it a proof this afternoon and added a few more sentences (because you know how I like to babble).


-----------


It’s 305 days into the pandemic and we are starting another 28 day stay-at-home order. The government even put out a siren cell phone alert this morning to make sure everyone remembers. In Canada there have been 685,000 covid-19 cases with 17,500 deaths.



I gave Carm a haircut today - instead of shaving it evenly, I tried to do a bit of styling… at the time it looked fantastic, but now, sitting beside him on the sofa, it looks a little patchy. Olaf keeps challenging him to shave it all off and grow a beard... I don’t know… what the heck, if he wanted to do it I’d man the clippers 😎 Will there ever be a better time to experiment?


the table looks so lonely with just 2 place settings



I’ve been introspective today, ever since talking to Kirsten yesterday and telling her how well I’m doing emotionally despite all that is going on. Aside from the odd glitch that quickly subsides I’m good and have been good for weeks. Why, especially now, a time of year that is often problematic for me? What am I doing differently? What should I make sure to keep doing as time goes by?


Even through all the covid and political noise I think I’m more mindful. I’ve been carefully deliberate at doing daily tasks like getting dressed and looking decent, planning and cooking meals, tidying the house - the small stuff. If I do have a pajama day (and there have been a lot of them lately), I don’t beat myself up, instead I enjoy the indulgence. We’ve made it a point to eat at the table most nights with nice music playing, so now dinner at the coffee table seems like a treat. Every few days I change up the table setting so I have something different to look at. I often have a cup of tea in the afternoon, reveling in the day. I make a point of remembering to ‘half smile’ as I move through the day (twinkle lights are a good reminder!). I’m playing more music and dancing more.


I have no “should do’s” running in circles in my brain.


These are all trite things but maybe they add up to be something good.



"It is often in the darkest

skies that we see the

brightest stars.”

~Richard Evans

No comments: