Monday, August 1, 2022

purple haze

 I’m sitting outside at the big table, squinting my eyes against the sunny glare on my screen, cheerful music playing semi-loudly. Already I’ve puttered around on the deck setting it up for a hot August day of relaxation. It’s only 9:45 but I’ve already been swimming. This is the life!



I’m going to have to dig deep into my memory as a whole week has shot past since I last wrote. 


It started last Monday with an alarming call that my Dad was in the hospital with a heart issue. He’s home now but unfortunately they didn’t figure out what was wrong. We dashed over for a quick visit on Friday afternoon - it was good to see him standing on two legs! I’ve been lucky so far and haven’t had to face the mortality of my parents - they’ve always been there and it seems that they will be here for eternity.


We had barely got home from visiting Dad and dropping a boat load of money at Costco, when there was a phone call from Trudie inviting us over for supper. Did we turn it down… a hard no! I could have brought Lupa with us but I decided I wanted a relaxing evening so the dogs got locked up again. She was absolutely hysterical when we got home… :-(


Tuesday we drove into the city to have supper with Mom and Graham. Mom is dealing well with the scare but she’s never been one to awfulize, at least not outloud. 


Wednesday night we had a whirlwind visit from Kirsten and Shawn. They wanted to see the new deck and we needed to talk about ‘the cruise’... final payment is due soon - do we cancel or go? The majority say go! I’ll look on any covid isolation as an adventure and something ‘fun’ to write about… attitude counts! It was a perfect evening so we were able to eat outside and were only driven inside by the mosquitos at the end of the evening.


The weekend brought another level of fun with June and Jennifer, friends from high school, here for a visit. We yacked for hours - it’s funny or perhaps alarming, how much we are still the same as we were 40 years ago? I always thought that I had changed and grown but now I’m not so sure. Do I still have the same fears and idiosyncrancies that I did so many years ago? It’s hard to tell from the inside looking out - I’ll have to ask June and Jennifer what they think!



June stayed for the night and much of the day on Sunday. The weather was perfect and we used every seating area on the deck - there are three! In the early morning we drank our coffee at the table down by the pool. A swim and then brunch at the table. More swimming and then a seat in the cool shade at the end of the deck. It was lovely!



The pool level offers a better view of our domain, while ‘upstairs’ is more of a room feel, with the railings acting as open air walls. 



After a lazy morning/afternoon I drove June to Jennifer’s, about an hour away. We chatted for a while and then I headed home. Whew! I crashed pretty hard on the sofa!


We can’t get chicken hearts for the dogs anymore - labour problems :-( The dogs will be disappointed as they love getting their ‘bedtime snack’. Spike never let me forget except for his last few days of life. 


Lupa had an extreme makeover today… I got the clippers out, and to the best of my ability I gave her a full body clip. She was getting quite scruffy and was cute as a button, but alas, I can only stand so much messiness so it all came off! So much for hand stripping. She was good as gold and I only needed Carm’s help for her wiggly toes… unfortunately my hand tremor makes it difficult to get the fussy bits.


first round with the clippers - still lots to clean up


This is turning into one of those long posts that Jennifer doesn’t always read!




Awesome!


“friends”

“getting home without getting lost”



No comments: