Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Tuesday November 22 St Thomas

 Tuesday November 22 St Thomas


Another beautiful day - hot, sunny and humid. We were up earlyish and had a leisurely morning on the ship before disembarking at 11:30 ish for a walk around town.



Stepping out of the ship was like stepping into a sauna - blessed heat! The crowds were thick as we wandered in and out of the tiny shops selling all manner of chatchas (including some really rude, and by really rude I mean REALLY rude pipes!). Kirsten, Shawn, Carm and I left the maddening crowds for the 2 mile walk into town. 



First stop, a dollarama type shop for cheap bottles of water. By that time the sweat was soaking our shirts so the first bottle was guzzled. The first bit of road was horrible with a narrow sidewalk and traffic whizzing by… I had visions of one of us being wiped out by a car or big truck. Eventually the sidewalk took a turn to the water and widened out to a nice promenade.



I thought we’d never reach the old town but we did. A barrage of jewellery shops lined the narrow cobblestone road - there must have been a hundred shops selling both high end jewels and cheaper stuff. In and out of the bedazzled merchandise we wandered I found a pretty necklace and earring set at one of the cheaper stores!



Some of us were limp with exhaustion as we faced the 2 mile walk back to the ship. I didn’t think I’d make it! Unfortunately I was too hot and sweaty to take advantage of the great prices in a little shop with rash guards and swim trunks. 



I could barely make it up the 4 flights of stairs back to our cabin - we’d already done 10 flights up and down in the morning! I collapsed on the bed - Carm changed into his bathing suit and climbed another 7 flights to the pool. We sure earned our supper!



Supper was great again - I had a tom yum type soup and scallops, Carm had a steak. By 8:30 we were finished (I was really finished!). Kirsten and I skipped the show in favour of an early night - Carm and Shawn found a bar for more conversation.



I’m actually writing this Wednesday morning as I couldn’t think straight at the end of the day yesterday - my head had hardly hit the pillow and I was asleep. No ‘Love Boat’ for me last night!



Awesome


“everything”

“walking in the sauna like heat”

No comments: