Saturday, November 5, 2022

optimistic

 You may wonder if I’ve fallen off the edge of the earth, but no, I’m still here and doing great. It’s been a reasonably busy week - nothing earth shattering…



Sunday Pat came for supper. Monday Carm drove me to the halfway point between Kirsten and here so we could meet her for lunch. I went home with her so that I could stand by her side at the vet as she helped her cat Tika pass from this world. It’s never easy but when the time is right, the time is right. It was sad but peaceful and we all knew it was the right decision. I was glad that I could be there with her.


Back at Kirsten’s we girls had a good long chat over nibbles and then headed to bed - which makes it sound like an early night but it was past 10:30. We had a busy day planned for Tuesday! In the morning we didn’t linger long and were soon driving into the city for some shopping :-)  Kirsten wanted to find a few things for the cruise and I was along for the ride… 


Our first stop was Value Village - Kirsten didn’t find anything but I got a super cute Persian lamb and mink jacket for $30! The tag in the pocket indicated that it was from 1957 but it is in perfect shape. Goodness knows where I’ll wear it! Maybe around the house on a cold day… it would look great over a slinky dress… or the grocery store (ha ha! maybe with a sequin top and jeans!)


We hit up Winners and then a few stores at the outlet mall. In Winners I saw an absolutely adorable little skirt coat that would have been sweet on Lupa. I held off but gosh I went back to it a few times! 



The outlet mall didn’t hold any treasures for us, but ever optimistic we went to the proper shopping mall where we had more luck - Kirsten got some things - I got a sparkly top. 


Kirsten said I was like a magpie with my attraction to all things shiny! She’s not wrong… just wait till she sees my uncontrollable attraction to all things kitsch in the souvenir stores. It’s a sort of madness!


It was 6pm by the time I got home (Carm picked me up at the halfway point) - I was exhausted but it was worth every aching muscle to spend time with Kirsten. Once the dogs were fed, I gorged on a hamburger, had a hot bath, watched a tiny bit of TV, then fell into bed and immediately fell asleep. Perfect :-)


Over the next few days I started trying on the clothes I’d picked out for my trip… oops… that one formal dress looked like hell! Glad I figured that out now but I felt so discouraged so moped around for a few hours then went shopping in my closet. I think I’ve worked out a reasonable alternative but it is somewhat matronly looking. People will say that I look good for my age in the way one does when someone looks old!


Last night Trudie & Leo came for a simple soup supper. Just soup and fresh buns. I made our favourite bread and tried making buns… they turned out super chewy, maybe a bit too chewy! But good. Trudie brought her sourdough buns which were also lovely.


Tonight we had a special pasta dish to celebrate the anniversary of our trip to Rome 3 years ago. Ah, the memories.



The weather has been totally unbelievable! Temps have been in the teens and have even crept into the low 20s! Carm enjoyed another round of golf on Friday, perhaps the last of the year, but what a day for it :-)


So, how am I doing without lithium? So far so good. The first few days were a blip of sickness and fatigue, but once I was past that part of the withdrawal it’s been good. I’ve been more alert - not manic, just brighter, less dulled down; my tremor is almost totally gone (I can eat soup one handed again!); I haven’t had any anxiety for over a week; and a few other physical things have cleared up. I’m optimistic but cautious.



Awesome!


“shopping with my sister”

“outside in short sleeves in November!”


No comments: