Tuesday, February 28, 2023

mega distractions

 It’s 3pm and it’s been snowing since early this morning… Carm has been out to snowblow the laneway but since he’s come in the snow has started to fall faster and heavier! The radar showed it ending ages ago but somehow the snow keeps falling.


I guess it’s a good excuse to be lazy again! Not that I seem to need excuses these days…


Yesterday Jo Ellen and Don (and Romy the poodle) came for a simple lunch… I say simple but if I’d been starting from scratch the tomato soup would have taken ages, but luckily I roasted tons of tomatoes from the garden last fall so the soup was a breeze. Instead I put the effort into focaccia! It’s a long drawn out process but one that I enjoy. But oh so much olive oil!!! Between the four of us we downed over ⅔ of a baking tray! There’s a few pieces left to have with supper tonight :-)


With Romy as a mega distraction, Lupa got to put into practice some of the things we learned from all those videos I watched last week! She’d gotten good at getting onto her mat and I suppose she had learnt some impulse control from the ‘games’ we played but I was very surprised at how the mat gave her a focus and a place to be that helped her to (semi) ignore Romy. It’s still a giant work in progress but overall I was happy… (oh how far our expectations have fallen!)


I wonder what would happen if we let the two dogs free? I fear bloodshed but I’m not experienced enough to read them. Lupa was super-focused on Romy and doesn’t seem to read doggy calming signals - she really is a terrier (terror!).


After J & D left it was time for the dogs to eat and then Lupa crashed - hard. She didn’t even make it to a bed but collapsed on the arm of the sofa! Such a tired puppy :-)


(it’s past 8:30 - the snow stopped hours ago)



Awesome!


“focaccia fresh from the oven at exactly the right time”

“Lupa rushing to the mat”

“freshly snowblowed laneway”

“dog snuggled on my lap”

No comments: