Wednesday, February 1, 2023

rabbit drama

 I jumped (stumbled) out of bed yesterday morning with a loud ‘hurrah’ at the sunshine! Carm did the first shift out with the dogs, but they needed out again after their breakfast - it was a fridgid -18C so I bundled into my warmest coat - it’s like crawling into a teddy bear - to take them out… thankfully no wind so I was warm, but little Lup-da-loop was mincing around on her little cold feet so a soon as she was finished her business I picked her up and rushed inside.


We had snow on Sunday and some more Monday so we had to make new paths on our snowshoes yesterday - the snow is getting super deep! Today was easier as we had ½ path already made, it had filled in a bit with light fluffy snow which was easy to get through, but the other half, well! Whew! I’m not in great shape (unless you think round is a good shape!), but we got out there and did it :-) And bonus - the clouds parted for a few minutes, bathing us in bright sunshine.



Lupa is rocking her snowsuit. Adia wore a parka. The snow is so deep that they rarely go off the unbroken path, but Lupa made a few forays into the deep fluff. We have to corner Lupa to get the darn thing on her, but once it’s on she’s raring to go 😍 

 

Pat came over for supper on Monday night - I made Vietnamese Beef stew which was delicious…  I forgot to add the Thai basil which would have rounded out the flavours better - next time! It couldn’t have been all bad though - we managed to almost finish two pounds of beef!



Adia discovered that she can see rabbits out of the bedroom window… at night… all hours of the night… so in desperation, we taped a giant sheet of paper over the bottom part of the window… a good temporary fix. I wonder if there is a cheap temporary fix that looks nicer than a giant sheet of paper?


I was scrolling through recipes this morning and saw a nice one with sausage and tomatoes but on second look realized that it is similar to a bean and sausage soup that I make regularly - guess what we are having for supper tonight: the old standby with beans! I always end up filling my 8qt instant pot to the fill line so we’ll have enough to put some aside for a guest night :-) And I got to work early so prep is already done 🤪


We eat a lot of soup in the winter…



Ack!!! Lupa just found a decapitated rabbit under the trailer! And then I found a granola bar wrapper on the laneway in front of the garage… A quick check with Google revealed that some animals will eat just the head and come back for the rest later. Yikes! What sort of animal is stalking the driveway? And how did that wrapper get there? It’s easy to let my mind veer into ‘Fatal Attraction’ scenarios!



Awesome!


“a whole day of sunshine”

“pristine snow - it stays so white out here in the country”

“mise en place”

“Peaceful Easy Feeling”

No comments: