Sunday, February 12, 2023

sunday supper


I have to wonder how people manage to feed a family three meals a day… yesterday I spent most of my day cooking and doing dishes yet only managed to get bone broth, cranberry cake, and a lentil meatloaf cooked - basically just one meal. All day!


The cranberry cake and lentil loaf were both ‘new to me’ recipes which probably doubled the time as I checked and rechecked the recipes. I had a bit of trouble with the butter in the cake recipe - it just wasn’t soft enough. Weirdly the eggs and sugar get whipped up first and then the butter is added - even though it was room temperature it wasn’t soft enough to blend in so I had to fuss quite a bit to get it incorporated which added about 20 minutes… notes have been added to the recipe!


The lentil loaf was supposed to be vegan but I didn’t have any flax so used 2 eggs instead. There was lots of chopping and cooking but in the end we had a giant loaf of lentils that tasted pretty good for legumes :-)  Five more servings have been packaged up in the freezer for later this week. Carm rated it a ⅘ so it’s a definite ‘do-over’.


I think I spend too much time cleaning as I go - wiping up my spills on the counter probably added at least an hour to the prep! And the dishes! I seem to use every bowl and utensil in the kitchen.






I did take a break to go for a short snowshoe plus spent some time with Lupa working on skills. She did great! I suspect the adjustment in my attitude has helped me to see what she CAN do and also how hard she tries. Thinking back to the white witch in the pet store last year who told me that Lupa will turn into a good dog :-) In fact, she’s on her way to being a great dog. I think she’s starting to learn how to think and problem solve.


Carm is struggling with a suspected kidney stone. How much water can a man drink in a day? It seems that the answer measures in the gallons!


Every now and then I realize how much more energy I have since quitting lithium :-) The dragged down, wiped out feeling seems to be gone. It’s been over 2 months since any anxiety too so all in all things are going great :-)



Awesome!


“a bit of sun in the afternoon”

“Kari for supper”

No comments: