Tuesday, February 7, 2023

yorkshire experiments

 As the year rolled from 22 to 23, I had it in my mind that I’d write everyday as it’s good practice but since I’m not doing anything much it’s hard to think of things to write about! I’m not reading anything interesting, I’ve not been watching movies, and if I had they’d be fluff. I’ve only been off the property a handful of times so far this year. 


We did have Jo Ellen and Don over for lunch yesterday - I played around with a beef stew using a ton of caramelised onions, mushrooms, herbs, and some Marsala to improve the broth. It turned out fantastic and is my new ‘go-to’ recipe for beef stews - I even wrote out the recipe in my app.


We also had yorkshire pudding, which turned out great, but in the middle of the night, when I should have been sleeping, but wasn’t, I wondered if using beef broth instead of water would improve the flavour. Guess what we are having tonight! Leftover stew with fresh yorkshires :-) Fingers crossed that I’ve made an incredible discovery ;-)


The polar vortex left a few days ago, leaving behind above normal temps. It’s been a warm winter so far - even with the vortex. Carm tracks electricity usage and this January we used 14 percent less energy than last January!


Between us we can answer almost any question about our household that you might ask! A combined 60 years in IT with 12 years of retirement and we still can’t let go of our record keeping/documentation!


It was windy, but we still strapped on the snowshoes for a short walk with the dogs. Lupa is not crazy about getting the snowsuit on, but is reasonably compliant - once we catch her! The other day I was fitting her into it and thought “it would be helpful if there was a snap to hold the suit up after the front legs are inserted”... well, just as I thought it, my hand slid down the back of the suit and there, in exactly the right spot was a snap!


Adia has either eaten something or gotten something stuck in her teeth as she was drooling buckets late this afternoon and into the evening. It’s 6pm now (waiting for the yorkshire to finish!) and she’s still at it. A few years ago she ate something that made her drool for several hours as well so fingers crossed it will pass by morning… meanwhile! we are wearing shoes in the house!


Supper time has come and gone… I’m still stuffed but it was oh, so worth it! The yorkshire… was awesome! I’ll be pencilling in a few notes in my tattered copy of ‘The Joy of Cooking’!


Adia’s drooling seems to be abating.


Awesome!


“yorkshire pudding!”

“visiting around the table after lunch”

“great design features”

No comments: