Monday, March 22, 2021

a most marvelous spring

 Before I say anything else, it must be said, no, shouted with joy, that the weather is fantastic with cloudless skies and a blazing sun. The last few days have warmed up into the mid teens (celcius), leaving coats strewn and sun hats on. Today I had windows open.


Yesterday we had Pat, Trudie & Leo over for a laneway visit. It was great to see Pat, who is recovering from a hip replacement - we had to discourage her from showing us her latest karate kick! Trudie came with parcels in hand: rhizomes of the purple clover, squash seeds, and the crowning gift: lox that she makes herself. OMG! I’d missed having her salmon over the winter and I think it was especially good this time.


I shamed myself by having no snacks laid out. I guess I wasn’t quite as great as I have been and was unable to conjure something up. Actually I was having a bit of an emerg med ‘hangover’ (as my doctor would say) which leaves me draggy and blah. The feeling still hasn’t left.


I don’t think my mood was helped by the discussion of Spike’s replacement… it’s not time yet but we should perhaps be thinking about it. Since his breeder, Dawn, is no longer living we’ll likely not get another miniature poodle, plus I’m sort of over the grooming. Adia leaves some hair around but she’s 0 maintenance. I had a few breeds in mind: border terrier, norwich terrier, maybe a schipperke. Something smallish that is easy to groom, gets on with other dogs, doesn’t have a huge prey drive, and isn’t one to disappear when you turn your back. I want a miniature Rhodesian Ridgeback but there isn’t such a thing. Oh gosh, I can’t even think.


We did dash out to Canadian Tire this morning to pick up 2 more laneway visit chairs to match the 4 that we got last spring. With vaccines on the horizon you’d think we’d be looking to more inside gatherings, but honestly, I think it will be several months before we feel comfortable with that. Not to mention it’s likely ages till I get my vaccine - Carm might be lucky in the next few weeks.


And!!!! Hurrah for Carm!!!! He hit his first balls of 2021 on the driving range today!


I need special lights etc. 


We tried our first beer yesterday, an IPA called Cashmere Sweater. It was smooth, almost plush with a bit of sweetness. Not much citrus (if any?). A lovely taste treat :-)

Unfortunately we skipped tonight as I wasn’t feeling up to it.



“It was such a spring day as breathes into a man an ineffable yearning, a painful sweetness, a longing that makes him stand motionless, looking at the leaves or grass, and fling out his arms to embrace he knows not what.”

~John Galsworthy

No comments: