Monday, March 15, 2021

one year of covid

 One year. One bleepity bleep bleep year… Today marks the day that we count as going on lockdown; our last meal with guests (Pat). Our conversation about the pandemic rings clear in my memory: oh, we’d be able to have a few friends to socialize with, we’d keep the numbers small. We’d keep our distance in the house. It would be fine and since it was only for a few weeks, easily doable. 


HA HA!


The next day (March 16), was a shock with dire predictions and instructions to ‘go home and stay home’. No visitors. No one outside our household. It was the first day of a month of sitting in front of the TV all morning watching Trudeau and Ford trott out the truth. It was surreal and more than a bit scary.


And here we are now… a year to the day later, still on lockdown with the end in sight (hopefully) but still months away. We’ll get through it.



Tonight we are ‘celebrating’ with our March 15, 2020 menu (mushroom gnocchi), plus an Aperol spritz or two. I really shouldn’t put celebrating in quotes as there have been some good things that have come out of this: over many many virtual visits we’ve developed a deeper friendship with my brother Olaf and his partner, Stephanie; I’ve learned some better mood management techniques (I think!); I’ve become a better cook (maybe).



“Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of chaos, and sometimes in the middle of chaos, you find yourself."

~Boonaa Mohammed

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Laura: I hope that you are keeping well. I started my lock-down early, on March 4th 2020. I had a medical appointment and they gave me an early heads up on what was to come. Luckily, by a twist of fate, my daughter, Jennifer, lives with me now and works from home, like most Public Service employees. I only get out to go to the bank, the pharmacy, or for groceries at Metro. My walker does not function too well in the ice and snow, so I miss the walks that I could take in the more clement seasons. Still Spring is around the corner and I am sure that we will all be happy to see more of Mr. Sun. Take Care. Blair.