Tuesday, March 2, 2021

horror show

 If my day was harrowing (and it was), Spike’s day was a horror show. It started early with a car ride to the dreaded vet. I tried to be cheerful as I passed his leash over to the technician but I gotta tell you, tears were pricking my eyes. He was reluctant to leave me - perhaps he knew on some level that it wasn’t going to be good.


He was in for a cleaning and sadly a few extractions. I’ve been there myself (but only 1 at a time) and know it’s not fun. 



Back at home I busied myself taking down the garlands and trying to declutter a bit. Check on the garlands… the decluttering… not so successful! The problem with open concept is that all your living areas are in one giant room so it looks like we have way too much furniture (we do). The walls are busy with window casements and a few paintings. I tried removing the fabric swath above the windows but that didn’t look good AT ALL. I think they help to draw the eye up away from all the furniture: large brown sofa, large brown loveseat, 2 wing chairs, 2 recliners that I hate, a futon lying flat, treadmill, giant table with 6 chairs, huge desk… oh, and 3 dog crates, a smaller loveseat, a big coffee table, a large shelf that’s in the shape of an elephant, a sofa table, a long buffet. OMG! It’s too much!


We did get the new carpet yesterday - I love it! The fireplace area now looks cosy - a perfect place to visit with a friend.


The windows look bare without their little strip of fabric.


Back to today: The vet office finally called around 1:30 to say that he was through the surgery and resting. Big relief. I paced around as we waited for the next phone call to set up a pickup time.


Finally by 4:30 we were on our way home. He was groggy and unable to walk. He was crying and crying. I was crying and crying. Oh gosh, my heart was breaking.


I carried him into the house and set him down on a dog bed where he lay for ages just shivering and moaning. I ended up calling the vet and of course while I was on the phone he struggled up and pooped, a few minutes later he peed on himself. Poor little guy. 


I tried to get him to take his pain killers with no luck. Maybe by bedtime. Right now (7pm) he’s out cold.


This little dog lives large in my heart.



“In a person's lifetime there may be not more than half a dozen occasions that he can look back to in the certain knowledge that right then, at that moment, there was room for nothing but happiness in his heart.”

~Ernestine Gilbreth Carey

No comments: