Sunday, March 14, 2021

language of love

 I was watching or reading some random thing that talked about the language of love. We each have a way of expressing our love: some give gifts, some like to do little tasks for people. The alphabet of my love language is the calorie!


In the 80s, when I was in my early 20s, my friend Cynthia fed or maybe even ignited this trait in me. Or maybe it was the lunches around the huge table at Aunty Rena’s farm that started the seed. No matter the source, nothing brings me more joy than having people here and feeding them. Sitting at the table crowded with loved ones is a sort of euphoria. At almost every meal that I feed Carm I think to myself who might enjoy the food and oh gosh, when can I make it for them.


My thoughts and feelings about cooking have evolved over the last year. It has become an enjoyment of the process and less of a race to the finished product. Standing at the counter, maybe with music playing, I feel content. Maybe this transition has been because of the isolation and it's been a way to find meaning in every day. 


It was a beautiful sunny day, alibet windy - I should say there were gale force winds. I had to pick up my haul of bubble bath from the Avon lady and since we were in the car drove into town for a quick grocery shop. No time to linger though - a large chest freezer hid a package of corned beef so I had to do a clean out/reorg. 


We are enjoying another Stanley Tucci episode tonight - oh to visit Italy again. And the food he showcases - oh yeah baby. That Florentine steak will be in my dreams.



“Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." 

~Dr. Seuss

No comments: