Thursday, November 25, 2010

Be Thankful

This is what it looks like just down the road
Driving home tonight I was struck by the devastation that local developers are doing to our area. A large wooded area, not too far from our house, has been cleared of trees to make way for more houses. It’s an ugly sight with mounds of earth and roots and broken trees – nothing living left. I reminds me of the scenes in Lord of the Rings where Saruman’s orcs are laying waste to the Shire. Progress is so ugly. We are now only about 1 ½ km from the edge of the village and there is still a buffer of farmland around us, but I wonder how long that is going to last. Encroachment will be a good reason to hit the road!


This is what it looks like in the movie

I like today’s word of the day - risible \RIZZ-uh-bul\ - an adjective meaning capable of laughing (that's me); disposed to laugh (me again); arousing or provoking laughter; especially: laughable (me again); and finally associated with, relating to, or used in laughter. Laughter is an important part of my day and I try to get my fix somehow, even if it means resorting to watching a silly tv program. I’m not crazy about being laughable, but if it means that everyone gets a good laugh, then I guess its okay. (I think this blog is risible – you choose the meaning!). I’d love to be really witty but I don’t think fast enough. I wonder if being funny is something you can learn to do or do you have to be born that way?

I ran into an old colleague today – as we walked down the hall he was whingeing on and on about all the meetings he had to go to today – as he spoke, my smile got wider and wider, in fact I almost laughed outloud –I will be OUTTA HERE in 35 days – the whole conversation was risible ;-).

I’d like to share another poem with you. This one comes from bp Magazine, http://www.bphope.ca/. It seems that I have a lot to be thankful for!

Be Thankful
(author unknown)
Be thankful that you don't already have
everything you desire.
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
Be thankful when you don't know something,
for it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.
Be thankful for your limitations,
because they give you opportunities for improvement.
Be thankful for each new challenge
because it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes.
They will teach you valuable lessons.
Be thankful when you're tired and weary,
because it means you've made a difference.

It's easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who
are also thankful for the setbacks.
Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles,
and they can become your blessings.


Oh yeah - I changed the background to a touched up photo of our hay field. Does it take too long to load? Do you like it or do you think the old one was better?

2 comments:

Barb said...

I like the new background - can you change the PURSUIT OF IDLE PLEASURES to white? It would show better. I immediately noticed the new background, and it loaded quickly.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Laura said...

Thanks for the tip - I think its much better.