Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Creative Life

Its the shortest day of the year which means that tomorrow it starts getting lighter! Yeah! We get a whole additional second of light. As the days pass the seconds start to become minutes. It doesn't start quickly but at least its a trend to the better. Thank goodness for Christmas and the lovely lights that shine in the dark. Lots of people have them on in the morning too which is much appreciated.

Today I've been having waves of excitement and happiness that are barely controllable! I want to laugh and sing and shout and run. I've managed to keep a lid on it so far and keep it to just smiling and maybe a bit of humming. It feels like my head might explode though! Co-workers will soon want to kill me (maybe not soon - maybe already!). Its hard not to be insufferable in these circumstances!

Some words of the day are just too impossible for me to relate to. Today's is another one of those words - ekphrasis (EK-fruh-sis - noun - a literary description of or commentary on a visual work of art). My friend Cynthia has no doubt written several ekphrasis as she has a degree in Art History. Cynthia lives in Australia so I haven't seen her for years but we still keep in touch with email. I'm certain if we were together in a room again it would be as if no time had passed. Some friends are special that way.



This morning I had coffee with my regular "every morning coffee pals" and an additional pal from the past. Bernard joined us at Starbucks where he treated us all to fluffy drinks (thanks Bernard!). We worked with him for years and years but his contract didn't get renewed a while back so we no longer see him very often. It was nice to have the old foursome together. Sort of a farewell to the old group as now there will just be 2 left.

I read the quote below today and thought it very meaningful. Thinking back to all the safe decisions I've made, all the times I've had ideas but was afraid to voice them or too embarrassed to risk being wrong makes me realize how much innovation and creativity was lost. And I realize that I would have made a greater contribution to my team at work if I had taken those risks.

To live a creative life,
we must lose our fear
of being wrong.
Joseph Chilton Pearce
American Author

No comments: