Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Day

office just about vacated
This is IT! The final day of work. My eyes popped open at the sound of the alarm - "lets get this day done so we can start our new life"! I made up my mind to savor all the last moments (lots of pleasures!) and make indelible memories. This day has been anticipated for so long that I wanted to make sure I remember it. However, the other side to that is that I had to try not think too much otherwise I got too emotional. Its a funambulistic act to balance between making memories and not crying!

Of course it had to snow with a bit of freezing rain last night just to make sure we will appreciate not driving in everyday (as if we needed the reminder). We got to work without incident though. The next few days are calling for temperatures above freezing and rain. So much for the lovely snow. Lets hope that its not freezing rain to ruin New Years Eve again as it did a few years ago.

On the way home from work we did our grocery shopping for New Years Eve and then picked up Olaf & Tammy to bring home for the traditional overnight visit. Bubbles were certainly in order so we toasted our future while I made supper (gnocchi with mushroom vermouth sauce and a mixed green salad). Its a new beginning. Occasionally I was struck with the fact that I don't have to go to work anymore - it was surreal and strange feeling. Reality will probably set in soon.

Today's word is plummy (PLUMM-ee adjective - full of plums ; choice, desirable ; having a plum color ; rich and mellow often to the point of affectation). Today was a plummy day (i.e. choice/desirable not mellow at all).

(FYI Olaf - from merriam-webster -> tradition - an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom))

No comments: