Tuesday, June 20, 2017

hovering in hot air

After the visit to the cemetery where Carm’s dad resides we hit up Costco for a few things. After much deliberation and surfing the web for recipes, we forked out for an Actifry. At the rally people had raved about the thing, and I figured if it would encourage me to cook more vegetables it might be worth the hefty price tag.

The first night I did chicken wings. We were both pleased at the result. They were perhaps the best wings EVER. The crispy outside and moist meat made us want to gobble more than the 4 each that I had cooked. I also tried some mushrooms and they were awesome as well.

For lunch on Tuesday I sliced up some onion and tossed it in with a tsp of oil. They turned out ‘okay’ but not how I wanted. I’ll have to do some experimenting. It would be great to figure out a recipe for caramelized onions.

Tuesday night we had wings again, and as a side sweet potato fries. Yum. Carm thought they were at least as good as the ones at the Works, and with less than a tablespoon of olive oil they are more waist friendly.

Wednesday is the last of the wings, some sweet potato fries, and roasted brussels sprouts. More experimentation! The brussels sprouts turned out great, although next time I’ll up the time a minute or two from the recommended 15 min.

I won’t normally cook 3 dishes at a time as each thing takes ages but since I’m experimenting we’ll drag the cooking out for over an hour.

Recipe suggestions are welcome ;-)

There has also been some shoe shopping going on. The pain and suffering for Carm is unbelieveable. Not to mention my difficulty in finding shoes that feel good. I’ve already returned a pair of red converse - really cute but the trial wear around the house wasn’t successful. Now I’ve got a pair of Bob’s to try (a subset of Sketchers). It’s a good way to get me on the treadmill for a lap!

Life as a consumer is filled with ups and downs.

There is no spectacle on earth more appealing than that of a beautiful woman in the act of cooking dinner for someone she loves.”
~Thomas Wolfe

No comments: