Wednesday, November 6, 2019

a room with a view

I sit, head still slightly spinning from 13 hours of travel, but I’m excited. From where I’m sitting, if I just look left out the open window I can see the Pantheon. For real! This has got to be one of the best hotel views out there. I knew we had booked a ‘room with a view’, but I had no idea that the view would be so close I could almost touch it. This is no distant outlook, no, if I could spit I’d hit the wall.


Below our open windows is a hubbub of sound. The excited voices sound like an energetic river tumbling over rocks. Background and not unpleasant. I suppose we’ll have to close the windows soon though as the sun is about to dip behind the ancient buildings.


Our flight here was uneventful but long. I got the worst case of restless leg syndrome when it was time to sleep and i didn’t have the heart to wake Carm up so that I could walk around. Alas, sleep eluded me for most of the night. But the night ended and after what was perhaps the worst breakfast I’ve even had on a plane, we landed in Rome.



We found a cab right away and hurtled into the city, astounded by the sights. Soon we were being dropped off in a tiny lane by our hotel. It’s a boutique style place right in the thick of things. 

Once settled (our room was ready even though it wasn’t yet 10:30am), we headed out to see some sights. First stop, inside the Pantheon. It didn’t disappoint. From there we checked out the little grocery store around the corner (well provisioned), and then on to Piazza Navone to admire a giant fountain. 



My stomach was a little unsettled so we figured a proper Italian lunch was in order. We sat outside at a little cafe and had bruschetta and then a plate of pasta carbonara. Both excellent.

From there we went to a church that had the most astounding marble interior. And finally, as my head was seriously spinning, back to our room for a nap. I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. The sun was shining on me and I could almost feel our amazing location.



Refreshed (as much as is possible after a missed night of sleep, we struck out again. We poked through souvineer stores, I looked at leather purses and silk scarves, Carm looked at wine. We both gawked at the ancient sights that Rome has to share. Oh, and we found the coffee shop that Kirsten recommended - almost next door! I foresee some mighty jitters - so yum.



We are back in our room for another rest and then we’ll go downstairs and find a patio to have some supper. Then it will be an early to bed night as we have to be at the Vatican for 7:20am, which is 1:20 am in back home time. Gulp.

No comments: