Sunday, November 17, 2019

Barcelona

With my big camera slung over my shoulder, we boarded the shuttle bus to the Columbas statue at the base of Las Ramblas. The skies were clear and crisp and there was a bit of a wind. No rain though.


We started down the famed street, taking a quick detour to walk past the hotel we stayed at a few years ago with Jo Ellen and Don. The intrigue of the narrow streets lured us left and right until we were dizzy and looking up at the Barcelona Cathedral. We snuck into the little garden area to see some geese, and then continued on our way, eventually finding Las Ramblas again. The narrow streets of the Gothic Quarter are steeped in history, each step on the cobbled surface transporting us to other centuries.





When we reached the Catalonia Square we tracked down a coffee shop for a quick espresso and of course the loo. Two espressos = 2.40 euro.

We saw lots of beggers and homeless people on the streets, especially in the Gothic Quarter. They weren’t aggressive though.

We were planning on taking a cab from there to Sagrada Familia but when Carm looked at the map we could see it would be about a 30 minute walk. No Problem. So off we struck, down the streets of the city, past marvelous old apartment buildings and shops closed for Sunday. 




The final right turn and there it was - as amazing as before, perhaps even more so as the towers had grown in height. We were at a little park with a dog park area and another area for pedestrians. We walked around and took in the sights then checked the map again… we weren’t at the right park. It took no time to walk around to the other side of the church to get to our meeting point… 1 ½ hours early.


It’s not hard to spend that much time walking around the park and gasping at the crazy building that reaches for the sky. We parked ourselves at benches and laughed at all the people posing and taking selfies. We had to mock.



It seems impossible but we were a bit hungry after all that walking so grabbed 1 (one) sandwich and 1 (one) bottle of water… 11 euros…. OMG - we should have gone to the Burger King across the road.

When it was finally time, we met the guide and started on the tour. It started with going thru the strictest security than we’ve been through, even for flying, and then while I was still fumbling with my belt, watch, camera, purse and coat, we stood outside in the whipping wind and listened to her talk. The facades on each side are very different styles, both interesting. 



Finally the big moment arrived and we stepped inside. I thought I’d maybe become a bit jaded with all the sights that we’ve seen, and also since we’d been inside before that maybe I’d be expecting too much for it to move me again. 




I was wrong. My breath caught in my throat and tears pricked at my eyes as an upwelling of emotion moved through my body. I’m not a religious person but I could feel the majestic spirituality. The building celebrates the beauty of Nature like no other place I’ve been. The forest of columns reach to the sun, branches lifting towards the light. Sun floods through the side windows through a kaleidoscope of stained glass, like the most beautiful sunset. I don't have the words to describe such a place. This is where genius and crazy meet to create beauty.

It didn’t disappoint.


The tour was over and it was time to make our way back to the ship with a stop for wine before we got on the shuttle. So we grabbed a cab and zoomed through the streets of Barcelona until we were close to where we started. We found wine a few Gothic Quarter streets away from where the taxi dropped us off and then we had another 10 minute walk to the shuttle stop. More walking… there is nothing I’d like more than a hot bath and a foot massage!

We were back in time to get ready for dinner and get in line for our table for 2 tonight. No sharing, but we were seated next to a nice couple from Pittsburgh that we chatted with. Faster service than with a table for 6 and yet still social. Just my speed. The entertainer tonight was a rather funny comedian who had tons of corny jokes and one liners. I laughed in my quiet way while Carm belly laughed out loud. It must have been contagious as I could hear the woman next to him laughing as well.

Tomorrow Valencia - meeting time 8 am - time for bed.

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Nice tour:) It has been a long time since I was there.