Friday, September 10, 2021

johnny appleseed

 Itˋs 10:45 am and Iˋm still sitting nursing a (cold) coffee, willing myself to get busy. Yesterday was a marathon day in the kitchen… 2 giant loaves of bread, 2 big batches of tomato sauce (making 8 containers!), and a double batch of meatballs. The freezer is groaning at the seams - I honestly think that the rest of the garden produce will have to rot on the vines/trees. Whew! All squeezed in before a 4pm haircut.



Luckily Carm took over the broom and made the house a little more presentable. It was Patˋs birthday so we were risking an indoor visit to help her celebrate.


Which leaves me to today… Iˋd like to make some apple pies and a batch of apple cider. Maybe a few skillets of caramelized onions as well. But my back is still a little sore. Plus I canˋt propel myself off the sofa!


Itˋs a beautiful day, cool but mostly sunny. The pool was at 68F yesterday - way too cold for a swim. I may slightly resemble a beluga whale but I donˋt have their tolerance for icy waters!


The pink pants that I mentioned last time - HA HA HA! They were perhaps a foot, maybe two feet, too long. Trudie looked at them and declared that they were impossible to hem unless we took the pants apart and made some major modifications. Luckily I had ensured that they were a free return to Amazon.



Itˋs 2:45pm… I did get off my butt this morning. Some rocking music powered me through several hours of cooking but my back is KILLING me. Iˋve got an apple pie in the oven, a batch of apple cider in the fridge, cheese sticks in my tummy (leftover pie dough bits rolled out with cheese), and 2 batches of caramelized onions in the freezer for next weekend. The kitchen is still hugely in disarray but I have to rest my back for a few minutes (I donˋt see the person standing behind me jabbing me between my shoulder blades with a molten hot spear but I know they are there). 



Itˋs almost 7:30… all that cooking and Iˋd forgotten to consider supper… pizza shop to the rescue :-) We still havenˋt cut into the pie so I have no idea how the crust turned out. I donˋt have high hopes as I used a new recipe and it came together weirdly. I should have used more water so ended up working it too much. This is the first apple pie Iˋve made since 2004.



Awesome!


“a lineup of tomato sauce cooling for the freezer”

“I used the recipe that Kirsten recommended for the sauce and it was fantastic”

“Spike sleeping peacefully on the futon, and later on the loveseat with Adia”

“Adia trying to control her impulse to mob Pat, she was trembling with the effort”

“I always love the sight of 2 beautifully browned loaves of bread emerging from the oven”

“pleasantly surprised by flavour of apple cider”

“hot caramelized onions”

“bright pink/purple sweetlegs”

No comments: