Wednesday, September 22, 2021

pathetic playlist

 I stepped off the treadmill as close to tears as one can get without actually wetting one’s cheeks… today’s playlist ganged up on me, playing emotional song after emotional song.


It started with ‘Roam’, the song I played every morning on our amazing Alberta trip 8 years ago. I was so excited on that adventure to my birthplace that I could barely contain myself at times. This song was written to be a tourist advertisement for the province and by gosh, it hit many notes of the highlights. I really did see the sun jumping into a stream - I can remember the exact moment as if it had just happened. What a trip! 

https://youtu.be/ThFCg0tBDck


Right after that it inflicted ‘Photographs and Memories’ by Jim Croce… this was the song with my first serious boyfriend. I remember many times sitting in his room singing the lyrics to each other. We had a tumultuous breakup 4 years later and I suffered greatly. I suppose there is a corner of my heart that is still broken. 

https://youtu.be/nucJtTPqSxg


And still the playlist continued to taunt. ‘Farewell to Jamaica’ by Harry Belafone played next. I always associate this song with my dear Uncle Graham who was like a beloved older brother to me. I rarely see him now as he lives several provinces away. 

https://youtu.be/KFFlWtlDRqk


Normally I’d be half listening to music so these songs would play and I might sing, but I’d be doing something else so no time to really think. And not 3 in a row!


But! I did spend a few minutes on the treadmill. It’s the third day after a 2 year hiatus… I am shockingly out of shape and that’s no way to pass my last year in my 50s!


You all probably think I’m crazy with talk of sequins and other glitzy stuff… I’ve always loved a bit of bling, which is funny since I’m usually in jeans or leggings and t-shirts, surely the two don’t go together… but yes! Bling is quirky and a bit funny, like a sparkly joke, a bit of a mock. It glitters as if little bits of the sun have been trapped in them. I love the sun! I love jokes! I love sparkle.


With Carm’s help I made 4 more containers of ragu - 1 for last night with Jo Ellen and Don, and 3 for the freezer. Carm’s happy to have all this sauce - it means we’ll be having pasta on a regular basis, a bit of a touch to his youth. And I’ll get practice making meatballs :-)



Awesome!


“finding riblets at the grocery store for the ragu”

“3 containers of ragu tomato sauce added to the freezer”

“adding the meals to our calendar - we’ll be having ragu every 3 weeks through the winter!”

“the rain holding off so we could have Jo Ellen and Don for an outside supper”

“a stack of bags holding apples for the freezer”

“wearing the pearl necklace that Carm got me for my birthday”

No comments: