Friday, March 11, 2022

a great dog

 Kind words from strangers can turn your life around, or at least refocus it to what is in front of you vs the awfulization that I am sometimes prone to. We’d set up a meeting with Kirsten at the Pet Valu in the town in the middle. We got there early for some extra time (which we needed). Entering the store Lupa was barking and carrying on when she saw people - anxiety? excitement? I’m not sure. Once I got her a bit settled a woman came over to talk and pet Lupa. Lupa was all over her and loving all the pets, and coincidently, stopped barking at people.


Anyway, we were talking and I was lamenting on our challenges but this woman said that she was sure Lupa would turn out to be a great dog. And I looked at Lupa soaking up the attention of a stranger, in a strange environment and I realized that yes, I think she will.


Those kind, encouraging words from a stranger changed my outlook and probably rubbed off on the whirlwind as well.


I thought about how much easier our days are becoming - she no longer needs 100% of my attention for 100% of the day. I can get off the sofa when she’s sleeping and she doesn’t jump up before I’ve reached the edge of the carpet. Our trips out of the house seem to be doing some good and the more consistent training that she’s getting is starting to pay off.


She’s learned to sit at the door when she comes inside while I take off her leash and remove my boots (and now my coat) before finally getting a little treat. She’s gotten good at this. She is running into her bedtime crate now. She’s not chewing on absolutely everything.



And then there was yesterday’s puppy class. Our instructor was amazed at how much better she was doing - Lupa was like a new dog, able to pay attention and do most of the exercises - last week she could barely sit, let alone stay with eye contact. She was interacting with the other puppies much better. I was amazed and very pleased with her progress. I’m not sure how much the CBD has to do with her transformation, but I suspect it’s helping, especially when away from home.


We had a short outing with her today where she got to meet a nice lady and also sniff around the parking lot and sidewalk around the hardware store. Was she focused on me? Rarely, but it was still a positive experience.



Pat was over for supper last night - Lupa barked like crazy when Pat was getting her coat off but once I let her go, she ran over to Pat crying with excitement. So barking = over excited. For that we need to train a calm down cue. How do I do that?


And one other thing: in the last week or so her bladder seems to have matured - she no longer has to go out every 15 minutes for an hour or two after her breakfast but can now go 2 whole hours at a time. Well, night time is not as great. BD (before diarrhoea), she was sleeping through the night - now she has to go out once in the middle of the night. I don’t know how to break that habit.


!!!! Lupa just rang the bell to go outside for a poop!!!! I was in the livingroom and actually heard the ring. This is a huge breakthrough!


A photo from last year of Spike cuddled up in the summer quilt on our bed popped up today, prompting a couple of tears, but also the motivation to take down the coloured lights and garlands. That, plus a changeup of pillows and sofa blankets has switched us from winter to spring. Optimistic? Perhaps.





Awesome!


“Lupa trying to play with the other puppies”

“hearing the bell ring”

“the summery smell of fresh strawberries”

No comments: