Friday, March 18, 2022

geese return

 With temperatures reaching the mid-teens C yesterday the laneway has become a bit of a mucky mess… but hurrah! No winter coat! Bare grass! Old poops that had been buried in snow - oops, that’s not a reason to celebrate spring’s temporary arrival but I guess it goes with the territory. Carm is actually SUPER good at picking the nasties up.


The geese are back and hanging out on the partially flooded creek. I love the rackous sound and wonder what they are saying to each other.


Yesterday was puppy class. Lupa barked a bit but settled down well after the puppy play mayhem - she actually started to participate :-)  After that we did some practice of commands that we’ve been working on before another play time. The next set of practice were stays and I think she did remarkably well - in fact, there’s no way she could have succeeded 2 weeks ago. Then there was a final playtime before class ended.


I’ve signed her up for a play group on Saturday morning.


In the evening we went to Trudie & Leo’s for supper. Lupa and Pepper got to meet again - after a bit of running and chasing, Pepper cornered Lupa upstairs. Eventually, after no sound of her tags, Carm went upstairs to rescue her. After that she was a little more leary and Pepper was a bit more comfortable. At supper time Lupa laid on her blanket beside the table chewing her bully stick while Pepper watched from about 8 feet away. I consider that a huge success :-)



Lupa was good the rest of the time too. She was well distracted by sticking her head into her puppy visit bag to pull out toys and bully sticks. I might toss a handful of kibble in to make it more fun.


Today it’s grey with rain in the forecast. We’ll forgo an outing today - she’ll have 2 socializations tomorrow.


I’ve been struggling through huge amounts of anxiety and panic. It washes over me when I least expect it - a sickly nauseous feeling fills my arms and body with a terrible feeling and I have trouble breathing, it pushes me to the brink of tears. The best description I’ve heard says that it’s like the feeling when you slip on ice and you are in mid fall. Unfortunately the feeling lasts minutes longer than an actual fall and repeats intermittently. I’ve been really trying to monitor my thoughts but it’s not enough, I’ve had to resort to emergency meds almost every day for a few weeks now. 


sit and stay at the front door.


Tonight the pooches scored a huge turkey neck! Adia got the lion’s share, with just a few inches cut off for Lupa. We bought a case of 10 as we think they’ll be great for cleaning doggy teeth with the added fun of eating real meat :-)


It seems impossible, but we’ve been dealing with the pandemic for two years now - reading back in my blog, I laugh at my optimism of a short lived lockdown. Mask mandates are dropped on Monday - I think it’s too soon but hopefully I’m wrong. The crazy thing is that thru the whole pandemic we didn’t know anyone personally that got covid… in the last 3 weeks we know 5. Will I be removing my mask? I think not!



Awesome!


“Geese in the creek”

“Lupa quietly chewing her bully stick beside the table while we ate at Trudie & Leo’s”

“puppy class (mostly!)”

“Lupa climbing onto my lap for a mid-morning cuddle”

“poor Adia being a good big sister”



This is how I’ll always picture Spike

No comments: