Wednesday, March 30, 2022

hoofing it

 Spring is taunting us from behind a curtain of cold with a bit of freezing rain in the forecast. We are just below freezing today, yesterday was much colder.


A trip to Pet Valu was in the cards for Lupa today, and the first time riding in the truck. She did well in the truck and not too bad at Pet Valu. She’s still totally distracted in PV but did sit and sometimes gives me eye contact. There were even a few automatic sits. I felt that it was an improvement from our last visit a week ago. 



We picked up some cow hooves that I’ll use to make frozen dinners for her next week after her spay. It will keep her busy for a while to lick out the food and then she has the hoof to chew. They are pretty cheap (unlike everything else we’ve bought her). After her spay I’ll pay more attention to making challenging food puzzles for her meals - soaked kibble mixed with canned food frozen into the channels will give her something to do during her long convalescence.


The ladies at the pet store said they get lots and lots of puppies coming through but that they remember Lupa because of her unique coat. ha ha… the grooming is certainly a work in progress and I vacillate between thinking I can do it, to wanting to shave it all off. I’ll try not to be impatient as I do like her coat the way it is now. If it will continue to look good remains a question. After her spay I might try shaving part of her face - I’ve been scissoring it but I suck at getting a good result.


It’s going to be a challenge keeping her quiet enough for her incision to heel - she’s up and down and over every piece of furniture! Not sure how she’ll take to being crated for so long… I foresee lots of quiet training time!


So much work still to be done to make this little pup a good citizen.



We had Kari over for supper last night - a lovely visit for sure. She’s just down the road from us but seems to be out of our consciousness - we must have her over more often.



Awesome!


“bits of sunshine here and there”

“the dogs going crazy running in the field”

“tired dogs crashed out for the afternoon”

No comments: