Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summertime Hay

This morning our neighbouring dairy farmer cut our hay field – I love the smell of freshly cut hay as it starts to dry in the summer sun. The only thing that makes it better is the sweet smell of horse manure mixed with it (honestly – that is the smell of summer to me). Today it was hot and sunny, the birds were flying around gathering food for their young, the dogs were hunting frogs by the pond, we were lazing in the pool, the smell of cut grass was in the air – truly summertime – or even possibly heaven.

 

I love the long, languid feeling of this version with Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong – it really evokes the feeling of a hot summer day.

It is time to get back to the Merriam Webster's word of the day. Unfortunately today’s word is one that was hard to incorporate into my blog post so I won’t – I’ll just add the word.

Temporize (TEM-puh-ryze verb 1: to act to suit the time or occasion : yield to current or dominant opinion ; 2: to draw out discussions or negotiations so as to gain time).

Blogger has been screwed up for quite a while – I haven’t been able to leave comments on anybody’s pages. I don’t know what is wrong (others have been having the same problem) but it may be IE? I don’t have plans to move to a new browser anytime soon, but maybe I’ll have to rethink this.

I have been using Windows Live Writer to compose my posts which allows me to do so off-line. I really like this software.

This morning I caught sight of the kingfisher diving into the pond after some fish. They are such an unlikely looking bird with that huge head. I do love watching him though. The one bird we haven’t seen this year at the pond is the Great Blue Heron. The grass and weeds have grown up so thick between the house and the pond that it is difficult to see it. The horses used to do a fabulous job of keeping everything trimmed. The original riding mower!

2004_0508_foals_lawn_04

valena01_2003_0518

I found a new website called Brainy Quote. It has a quote of the day that I have been reading lately. I love these thought provoking quotes as they cause me to think and ponder if only for a moment.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
John Lubbock

No comments: