Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ticks and Snow and Other Yucky Things

20111122_tick_002Last night we found a tick on Spike’s head. Ewwww. It was all big and engorged. We got him under some good light and carefully took the tweezers and pulled that sucker out. There are different methods on the web, but they all stress not squeezing the body,pushing out potential Lyme disease. So we were careful to just grab it right down close to the intersection between Spike and Tick.  Spike was a good boy and held still, even though I took a good portion of his head out along with the tick. We aren’t too worried about Lyme disease though as we have only seen deer sign on our property a few times in all the years we’ve lived here.

I woke up so many times last night feeling phantom ticks crawling about me.

20111123_dogs_001The second yuckiness was this morning - we woke up to a bunch of snow on the ground. I can always tell as soon as I open my eyes if it's the first snow as the light is so different from when there's just barren ground. It is pretty… I guess. But I'm not sure if I'm ready for another winter yet - of course I don't get a choice. The good news is that it’s supposed to be in the double digits (Celsius digits that is) for the weekend. So winter will recede, at least for a little while.

Today I was down in the storage room cleaning out a few old boxes of software. Some of the software only required 3mb of disk space and 512 kb of memory! Can you imagine! Just think of todays bloatware. Some software stated it was Now for Windows! Do you remember DOS? We thought that Windows was such an amazing breakthrough, and it was – we are all still running it, or some off shoot, years and years later. The gui interface was such an improvement. Look at the software and electronics now – they wouldn’t have the same experience if it weren’t for such a user friendly interface. ‘Cause really, the interface itself is not all that different from the original Windows. I love how all the smartphones and tablets are reminiscent of Star Trek. I remember watching and thinking wouldn’t it be cool to have such a great hand held device.

20111123_dogs_002

I just heard from my Dad that he has started a blog. We’ve all be bugging him for ages to write down some of his memories starting with growing up in small town Alberta. He’s done so many interesting things in his life we think he should share. What a treasure for all of us kids and grandkids. (see his blog here)

20111123_dogs_004

Sometimes when you are feeling jaded you can revive your sense of wonder by merely saying to yourself: "Suppose this were the only time." Suppose this sunset, this moonrise, this symphony, this buttered toast, this sleeping child, this flag against the sky... suppose I would never experience these things again!
Author Unknown

(I tried this with regards to today’s snowfall – suppose this were the last snowfall…)

No comments: