Friday, November 25, 2011

To the Dump, To the Dump, To the Dump, Dump Dump

MV5BMTg3OTgzMjI3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDUyMzcyMQ@@__V1__SY317_CR26,0,214,317_Friday night we watched the 1953 version of Ivanhoe. Elizabeth Taylor is beautiful beyond words, as is Joan Fontaine. It's a good adventure flic - and as a bonus there are Irish Wolfhounds and horses too.
 
Spike slept through the whole thing – so peaceful.
 

velcommen_200_greenI see that there is another new follower - Ruth and her husband have their own blog. They are RVers, retired from IT Security. I also saw that there were other new ones that I missed (where was I anyway?). One of the ladies is a retired Soil Engineer - how cool is that! And then there are the Good Luck Duck ladies. I love "meeting" all these new people. So many lead such interesting lives. If you want to learn more about them, click on their pictures and look for their blogs. Lots of interesting reading.
 
 
Today we got busy and cleared some stuff out of the basement. First out - an old, broken ping pong table, couldn't bear putting good wood into the dump so it went into the back of the barn. If you wonder why farms are so full of old and broken junk, well, it's because they can be!
 
20111126_dump_006After the ping pong table we loaded up an old sofa to go to the “used store”. We thought it was in pretty good shape, but after we got it unloaded and took a better look in the light of day we could see that it wasn't in great shape after all. So to the dump we went. We salvaged the seat cushions which fit perfectly in the back floor of the truck - the dogs will have a more comfortable bed back there. And we saved the legs which have castors - surely those will come in handy some day.
 
 
Our dump is pretty well run and has separate sections for metal, bikes and compost. However, every single person should have to visit their dump on a regular basis - it is a real eye opener on how much stuff we all throw out. Our consumer society sure is wasteful.
20111126_dump_005the bike and metal piles 20111126_dump_003look how much stuff gets thrown out – it is a mountain of garbage
 
While we were seeing about dropping off the sofa, we did take a look around our local "used store". It has everything from furniture to toys to clothes to books, and the list goes on. I didn't leave empty handed and came out with a cute embroidered tablecloth and a little Christmas decoration. All for $4 - my kind of shopping day. These places are great for keeping some stuff out of our landfills.
 
Oh - since I now have my prun (Transformer TF101- productivity unit) mostly set up the way I want it is turning into a useful device (and not just a toy, Carm). I love to do the initial write of my blog on it - I can sit where ever I like and pound away at the keys - it fits perfectly in my lap. Sometimes I even make a few notes while watching TV at night (see Ivanhoe above). I'm writing this sitting on the futon with the dogs. I have a perfect view out the west window and can catch glimpses of the road. I just saw a motorcycle drive by - hey what? It's November 26th and motorcycles are still out and about! Today Carm went for our little walk without a jacket. Tomorrow is Grey Cup Sunday and I don't think it's even going to snow (note to self - perfect excuse for bags of chips and other naughty treats - it is traditional after all).

Happy Tails Trails

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Great minds think alike-I watched Ivanhoe last night as well. I have no idea how many times I have seen it, but I can still sit through the whole and enjoy it:)