Saturday, August 11, 2012

Howling

It is 9pm and we are sheltered in the camper out of the howling wind. It is blowing a gale out there and very unpleasant. I do see people a few campsites over from us with a campfire - they must be crazy pyromanics. We are not hardy campers though and happily retreat to the comfort of the camper. So tonight we are inside watching Julius Caesar on TCM.

We did our usual morning walks (7km/4.2miles) followed by a swim. The waves were crashing about again but the water was warm. For the rest of the afternoon Carm helped Bill install a satellite connection into his trailer. There was a brief period of rain, but again the forecast wet weather skirted us.

Nor stony tower, nor walls of beaten brass, Nor airless dungeon, nor strong links of iron, Can be retentive to the strength of spirit; But life, being weary of these worldly bars, Never lacks power to dismiss itself. (1.3.93)

The following quote reminds me of a story my parents tell of when I was 5 years old they had either been discussing the book, or maybe they had been watching the movie... anyway, I dragged out my little stool, stood on it and gravely said "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your noses". I got part of it right!

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears; I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones. (3.2.79)

No comments: