Saturday, January 19, 2019

Cartagena Columbia

Yesterday was our last port day before our two day sail back to Fort Lauderdale/reality. We'll be stepping out of the bubble at 7:25am Monday morning.

Cartagena was a lovely city with a surprising skyline. Skyscrapers soared into the sky in an impressive display of concrete. Our tour skirted the area as it took us to an imposing stone fort. I hadn't had much sleep the night before - between coughing all night and worrying about our lost excursion tickets the night was short... but the fort... was built with a steep road of slippery stones leading to the top where we entered a maze of dark tunnels (I thought of you Jo Ellen - you would not have been happy!).

My weary body made the journey - I couldn't wimp out as there were many more infirm that me :-0  It was worth the climb as the views were lovely.


After the fort we drove to the Colonial City which was criss-crossed with charming narrow lanes lined with colourful houses. Bouginvelia (sorry about the spelling) climbed many balconies, their pink flowers bright against the pale pastel walls. We went into a few museums and a couple of churches, all very interesting, although I did wait outside the lecture about torture (I wasn't alone).

It was a beautiful city, slightly blighted by the myriad of persistant street vendors. There were times that I felt overwhelmed by the onslaught, but I understand the poverty so tried not to let it bother me.

It was a lovely way to spend the morning, but I will admit to feeling a bit glad when the bus (air-conditioned) turned towards the ship. A cool shower and a long nap finished the afternoon.


We had our usual early supper (oh what to wear - I'm rapidly growing out of my clothes which are starting to make me feel like a overstuffed sausage - I have no idea how I will fit into my dress tonight for the final formal!). I'm glad I took the time last fall to plan out my clothes in my silly little app - I have what I need and don't have to think too hard about my choices. Also, at the last minute I threw in my wide slinky pants and am so glad that I did! My 'skinny' dress pants don't look so skinny anymore!

The show last night was a comedian - Carm hardly stopped laughing the whole time, and the guy beside me let out a few loud guffaws. We were sitting with Andy & Edna who barely made a peep or maybe I just didn't hear them over Carm's hilarity.

Of course, after the show we went our seperate ways and Carm and I went to the Wheelhouse while A&E went for supper. We held our 2nd favorite table so they met up with us later. The band was fantastic as always. My long afternoon nap let me stay up long enough to outlast the entertainment.


Today is a blessed sea day... we slept in, actually I really slept in... Carm brought breakfast and coffee back to the room for me and then my head hit the pillow again for another few hours. I finally dragged myself out of bed to get into the shower to tame my wild bedhead and to take a short walk around while Hedy did up our room.

I napped some more.

We went for lunch and a latte.

And here I am, almost 3pm and thinking that I might make it through the rest of the day without more sleep. I'm still coughing like crazy (this morning I coughed so hard I threw up TMI). Tonight we are joining up with Andy, Edna, Brian, Ninna, and another Canadian couple that we don't know, for a late supper. All dressed up!


I'm getting a bit homesick and won't be sad to be home in a few days.


2 comments:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

We enjoyed the city tour except for the street hawkers, who would follow you for blocks trying to sell their stuff.

Laura said...

the vendors we're right in our faces, so many at times it was overwhelming.