Saturday, January 5, 2019

it never rained in California

The forecast for today was rain and more rain... but! we were lucky and haven't seen a drop yet. It is 3:30 and we are back at the hotel after a day of sightseeing. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the rain stays away until we are back from supper.

Our day started as it did yesterday: earlyish and with breakfast at the Happy Diner. Today I had Spam & Eggs which was delicious - I even loved the spam! As we were eating the cook handed us two plates of pancakes as he had made too many. Burp... no eating for the rest of the day. My skinny jeans were not making me feel skinny at all, but more like an overstuff sausage. It was worth it though.


Once we were sufficiently sofoncified we grabbed an Uber to the aquarium. An Uber is the way to go - it was reasonably priced and Carm got to be a passenger through all the freeway confusion. Good thing as we are both still slightly wonky from the jet lag.

The aquarium was delightful with several touch-it displays. I handed off my camera to Carm (with instructions to take a photo), and dunked half my arm into the shark tank. I was too excited (and stunned) to realize that I was still wearing my jacket... with long sleeves. And Carm was just too stunned to take the photo. It was a good test of how long it takes that fabric to dry (too long), and to find out just how cold a wet arm could make me (too cold).


After the aquarium we took a free shuttle across the bay to the Queen Mary. She is an old dame slightly tattered at the edges but still showing a glimpse of her old glory. We wandered around the main decks and then headed to the Winston Churchill display, followed by a trip to the engine room.

My tour of the engines was cut short when the smell of diesel oil threatened to make me puke. Memories of trips in my dad's old Cessana plane resurfaced - I earned the nickname 'honky' for a reason...

Once we had see all there was to see we hopped on the shuttle back to the aquarium. I wanted to check out the 'Restoration Hardware' shop that was near, and we figured it would be easier to get the Uber back to the hotel.

It was a quick ride back to the hotel, but we didn't linger. Instead we dashed down the road to pick up some wine for our cruise, and on our way back stopped at a bar for a beer/cider. Holidaying is good fun, but oh my, the calories!


We are being rather repetitive with our forays for meals. Breakfast at the diner, and tonight we'll hit up the Thai place again. The rest of the restaurants in the area are brewery type places with burgers, etc. We can get that at home, but good (great) Thai food is harder to find. I'll even have the same thing :-0, except I'll substitue tofu for the meat... I'm feeling pretty meat saturated these days.

but first a bit of CNN. Yes, even on holiday, I am subjected to endless news programs... lucky me.

I can't sign off without a big thanks to Pat for keeping everything going at home :-)


1 comment:

Dr Olaf said...

I think that my father (your grandfather) went overseas on the Queen Mary in WWII.