Tuesday, January 29, 2019

a bit of cruise withdrawal

I did 10 minutes on the treadmill, which isn’t anything to crow about, but it was 10 minutes more than yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that, and on and on. It was enough to get me moving a bit more and energized me to take down some more Christmas decorations. I’ve left the little trees with their lights up though - they’ll stay out until March as they are a nice bit of winter green.

Before we left I thought I’d dig out ALL my Christmas decorations (4 or is it 6 bins worth) and discard/send to thrift store what I no longer use. I seriously don’t have the energy or the inclination for that now, but will make a point of it next year when it all comes out again. I’ll put some Christmas music on and brew some hot chocolate and it will seem like fun and not a dreaded chore for which I am uninspired to do now.

The maelstrom of snow never arrived, at least not at the force that was predicted. We got a few cm of snow which could have stayed in the laneway, but not at the end by the road. Carm got out there with the snowblower to do the road, and didn’t stop until the whole laneway was done, so now we are ready for the next snowfall. The bitter cold has left for a bit now too - from -24C yesterday to -11C today.

Hot water with lemon and honey (with Brandy for bedtime some nights) has been nourishing me for a few weeks now. It is a soothing habit that may last the winter - a hot drink at bedtime sets the stage for a long sleep. And long they have been - I’m still sleeping like crazy - Carm says I’m still catching up, but gosh, it has been over a week now, how much catch up is needed? Maybe a night for a night? In which case I have several more long nights to go.

It is slightly weird sitting here with just the sound of a snoring dog. From frenetic activity on the ship to hermit like quiet at home - surely somewhere in the middle is good! It was nice walking down 2 flights of stairs and ending up in a hubbub of activity with people and music and motion. There was always a seat somewhere to sit and watch people pass by, and to have a refreshing soda water or hot soy latte, depending on the time of day and what I felt like at the moment. There is no stepping out the house here… not even if it was summer… we’d always have to drive, sometimes far, to find a place like that. But if the weather was better and the roads not so snowy I’d invite some people for supper! I’m sure I could whip up a warming soup in the instant pot! Any takers? Jo Ellen and Don, do you feel like braving the winter?


And there is quite a different sort of conversation around a fire than there is in the shadow of a beech tree.... Four dry logs have in them all the circumstance necessary to a conversation of four or five hours, with chestnuts on the plate and a jug of wine between the legs. Yes, let us love winter, for it is the spring of genius.
~Pietro Aretino, translated from Italian

No comments: