Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year!

Freezing rain... again... 5th or 6th time this winter, and I can't even count how many New Years Eve it has wrecked. It is over now of course, and the forecast is for clear and cold tonight, perfect weather for a party. Last year (was it last year or the year before?), we shifted the date one day, but I couldn't really bear the thought of a huge dinner 2 days before we leave. Maybe I'm just lazy.

The night wasn't a total bust though, far from it. Trudie & Leo live just a KM away so felt brave enough to brave the ice for the ride home, and Pat moved in so no driving for her. We gathered around the counter, noshing on a giant cheese tray that Trudie had brought, and artichoke parmasen dip with pita chips. Soup was served not long after 7pm, and then everyone stayed at the table (they didn't have to, honest. Moving to the sofa area was offered for more comfort). Carm and I whisked through some cleanup and the final preps for the roast beef course.


Speaking of roast beef... I had done a ton of research on the internet on how to trim and cook this chunk of meat; there were a few options: high heat for 30 min, or low heat for 2-3 hours. Hummm... after much reading and humming and hawing I decided on the longer low heat method. First step happened the day before - trimming. I think it turned out okay - goodness knows it looked a lot different at the end than it did at the beginning. There was a handful of stuff for the dogs (happy happy dogs), and a bit for a stir fry. There was another strange part that was removed as well, which I tied into a smaller roast.

It was patted dry and trussed up, then salted and peppered before being popped into the fridge, uncovered, to rest for a day.

Yesterday I removed it from the fridge about an hour before browning it in butter and thyme. Sprigs of rosemary were tucked in the strings and the whole thing was stuck into the oven. First though I inserted the remote thermometer (which has saved my hide a few times).

With the oven set at 225F the expected cooking time was 2 hours. Well, at less than an hour my thermometer altered me that the cooked tempreture had been reached. WTH!!! Nothing else was ready so we got to work and got the potatoes cooking. The meat had a long rest and when Carm cut the first slice we were happy to see a beautiful pink interior. Whew!


The evening was congenial, although Pat didn't make it to the count of 12, leaving just Trudie & Leo to toast in the new year with us. We sat around reminiscing until the clock on the wall inched its way to nearly one. Another year done and welcomed.

Tonight Jo Ellen and Don are joining us for leftovers, and Pat will be here as well so we'll have a bit of an evening. I'm keeping it simple with dishwasher dishes, and less fragile glasses. Oh, I'm still using the gold cutlery, but that will be simple to wash and put away.


No comments: