Monday, January 28, 2019

rekindle

A deceitful bright sun accompanied us for most of the day - oh yes, it was cheery and its welcoming rays lured us outside. BAM! -24C air slapped us in the face. But I just pulled up my hood and walked with the dogs up and down the laneway a few times. On protected parts of the skin the sun felt warm and enlivening.

The field is out of bounds for us, at least until I drag out the snowshoes, which I haven’t been healthy enough for yet. Deep snow blankets every square inch, including the path to its gate. I am reminded of Vince’s visit a few years ago when he dragged me out for a tramp. I don’t think the dogs will be accompanying me when I do get out the snowshoes - it is far to deep for them, and they don’t have the will that they used to have.

Aside from a few walks to the gate, I had not left the house since our return from the South. Oh no. I just couldn’t bear it (and I was flat on my back on the sofa). Today it was time to get myself going. The roads were reasonable and the sun shone so we belted ourselves into the Subaru and headed to liquidation.

I found a few things, and Carm got himself ANOTHER pair of shorts. He is ever the optimist that our summers are going to be so long that he actually wears some out. He seriously has 3 pairs of the same shorts… not to mention countless others. Carm is to shorts like I am to t-shirts, although I have somewhat gotten over that obsession… unless it’s got some merino wool in it, then I’m in like flint.

A few years ago Costco had some merino t-shirts so I picked up a black one. Well, that thing wears so well, and washes like a dream. I can wash it in the sink on a cruise and it is dry the next day. I check everytime I’m in Costco or liquidation for them to have the short-sleeved ones again but I’ve never had any luck. I do have some long-sleeves which are lovely for winter.

We are battening down for a big storm tonight - 10 to 20 cm of snow is on its way. I’m so glad that we are home for these last few storms so Pat doesn’t have to deal with the mess.

Trudie & Leo were by last night and we had a good visit of comparing our holidays. They were at an all-inclusive resort at the same time we were cruising. There were many similarities, including Leo getting sick part way through… so maybe it isn’t just me!


He who marvels at the beauty of the world in summer will find equal cause for wonder and admiration in winter.... In winter the stars seem to have rekindled their fires, the moon achieves a fuller triumph, and the heavens wear a look of a more exalted simplicity.
~John Burroughs

No comments: