Sunday, January 27, 2019

wailing wind

A wail from outside woke me up this morning… the wind whipped snow against the house, shaking creaking groans from its skeleton, the sound a ghostly scream. I peeked out the window to see a white gauze swirling around, obscuring any details farther than a few feet away. Snow was falling, no, not falling, but was being ripped from the clouds by the vicious wind. I was happy to be snug as a bug in a rug in our home, and thought of the generator standing by in case of power outage.

It was already 10am… another late sleep-in helping me recover from the cold and the trip and all the excitement of being away. My eyes were still bleary though - I needed a coffee.

It’s day 12 (or maybe 13) of my cold and it is finally loosening its hold somewhat. I’m still coughing a bit, and the kleenex box keeps getting lighter… but I’m up and puttering around in a semi-functional way. The misery is starting to leave my memory and I’m looking forward to our next cruise, already booked and paid for. It will be the test though - another cold and I’m pretty sure we will find some other way to vacation.

Trudie & Leo are coming for supper (not too far to drive on the wicked roads) so I got busy and set the table with our new tablecloth from Puerto Vallerta.


Kabira has been getting up in the middle of the night every time she’s had kibble for supper. Either she isn’t drinking enough water and gets thirsty, or she drinks too much and has to pee, or maybe it doesn’t agree with her. On one of the nights with meat she had to go out 4 or 5 times with an obvious gut ache. We have to find a solution, but I don’t know what it will be. Maybe meat, with a bit of vaseline to help the bone pass through, or meat & kibble, or I don’t know what. Suggestions are welcomed.

No comments: