Sunday, June 23, 2019

power play

It was with no small measure of dismay that I listened to the message from Ontario Hydro about a planned power outage from 7am to 10 am (barring any problems)… scheduled for Sunday, June 23rd… Mom’s birthday party when we’d be expecting 18 people for lunch :-0  Minor freakout.

Luckily, Carm quickly reminded me that we have a generator and that it should handle anything we throw at it (except maybe the washer & dryer), and that actually it would be a really good test of the noisy beast. Crisis averted.

It’s nearing 10am now and the monster is still roaring, but we’ve gotten a lot done. I’ve cleaned a million baby potatoes, and a few big ones for good measure. Carm’s swept, vacuumed, and washed the floors, a gargantuan task. I’m getting ready to move a small table and chairs into the house for some extra seating. Then the cucumbers will be cut, dishes laid out, and a myriad of other small tasks. Things are well in hand.

I didn’t think so last night though. I had a major freak out after I went to bed. Would there be enough food? Did I have enough small potatoes for the roasted potato, sun-dried tomato and arugula salad? Probably not!!!! Get up… count potatoes… a few short… panic… Carm told me there were some big ones downstairs… bring them up and evaluate… sigh of relief and I could go to sleep.

Yesterday was busy too, but we did take time out for a marathon drive to Costco for supplies. When we leave the house, I walk down the laneway to open the gate and it is a minute or two of mindful enjoyment. I love that little walk. Yesterday I thought of the austere air of winter and compared it to the riot of roccoco of summer. Flowers, grass, and what was that other smell, painted the air with curlicues of fragrance. It made my head reel in pleasure.

How blessed I am to live such a wonderful life.

11:18 - generator still running. Hydro website estimate is ‘reassessing’ completion time. Thank goodness for the generator or my hair would be standing on end as I had a giant meltdown. Hope it is soon though so we can run the A/C.

Funny anecdote - when we were carrying a chair in Carm bashed the leg against the table - Grace immediately said ‘Be Careful!’. Who says they just mimic.

11:20 - generator off and power back on!!!

It’s now 9:20 and I am about to fall into bed. It was a fun day, and yes, there was enough to eat! My brother is visiting for the night so we’ve been ‘chewing the fat’. As soon as it is dark out we’ll wake my niece to take her out to see the fairys in the field.

Whew!!!

No comments: