Friday, June 21, 2019

the world smelled of roses

Mosquitos nipped at my bare ankles, but couldn’t distract me from the marvel I was seeing. A thousand fireflies flickered in the hayfield, mirroring the stars above. From my vantage point I could see down the field, into the dips and swales, tall grass home to a fairy universe. I stood there entranced, until the pesky mosquitoes could no longer be ignored.

It was a fitting end to a rather hard day. I don’t know what is going on with my brain but near paralyzing anxiety washes over me in waves as I go about my days. There seems to be no rhyme or reason… I just tell myself that I can carry on and somehow I do.

Pat was over for supper Wednesday night, and Trudie & Leo came over later in the evening. As usual there was spirited conversations about all sorts of topics. Strangely, I had no anxiety then - perhaps company is a good diversion. Thursday we met T&L at Country Kitchen for ½ price fajitas - they were okay.

It’s raining today. (that was yesterday)

Today the sun shone, warming the air pleasantly. I dashed around the house, spinning from one task to the next, occasionally grinding to a halt by anxiety. I’d shake it off and spin again. We got lots done today! Things are shaping up for Sunday’s celebration.


I did take a few minutes to go pull some skapes from the garlic and to linger by the rose bush that Kirsten gave us for an anniversary years ago. The fragrance is incredible… it is exactly like the ‘rose’ soap that was in my Christmas stocking one year.

I might cut a blossom to tuck into my pillowcase tonight.



It was June, and the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside.”
~Maud Hart Lovelace

No comments: