Sunday, June 9, 2019

ramping up

The steep and slightly slippery stairs of the camper have always been a challenge for the dogs, but now they are having an even harder time getting up, and especially getting down. Even Spike has trouble and tries to take them in one giant dangerous leap. Christine happened to mention that she had gotten a ramp for her elderly dog and that it had made a world of difference. So… out to PetSmart again…

We were excited to give it a try, but the darn thing is like a skating rink as they try to dig in their claws to get purchase. It was a bad scene. Off to Canadian Tire for some rubber mats. They aren’t quite the right size but did make a big difference. When we get home we’ll do some cutting and gluing. Now they just have to get used to using it. Note to self: train the ramp when the dog is young and agile.



On a better note, we’ve continued to have fine weather (perfect actually), and are both having a good time. I don’t find myself in the most social of moods; I’m very happy to have some company but don’t go seeking it out like I have in the past. I feel an overwhelming sadness which at times is hard to shake.


Last night was the potluck. Thirty two people huddled onto 6 picnic tables, while 3 more tables held mountains of food. I brought meatballs, and so did three other people. I guess great minds think alike. The evening stretched out and when it was time to go to the campfire Carm was away like a shot, not thinking that I had 3 dogs to walk, among other things. In the end I skipped out of the crepusular fun and had a quiet evening instead.


This morning passed quickly with visits with Edna, Andy, Marilyn, Mark, and Christine. It is very pleasant sitting under the shade of a tree with people you like.

Supper was in Kingston with Andy and Edna and then ‘home’ to talk under the maple tree. I zipped over to the campfire for a bit and when I came back Andy, Marilyn, Mark, and Carm were still deep in conversation.

The dog lives for the day, the hour, even the moment.”
~Robert Falcon Scott

No comments: