Wednesday, July 15, 2020

thirty one happy years

The day dawned clear and warm, much like the day 31 years ago that we exchanged our vows. That summer day, oh so long ago, was sunny and the perfect temperature to be sashing around in our wedding gear. Carm looked handsome in his tux and I think I was passable in my white gown. 



The weather was similar to today. Suddenly we were in the mood for a picnic at Nicholson locks where we’ve celebrated several times. I dialed Kirsten and they were available, unfortunately Mom, Dad and Graham had appointments.


With excitement bubbling I got cooking: chicken salad with basil and lemon; arugula, sundried tomato and roasted baby potato salad. I’d made lemon concentrate yesterday so drinks were covered. I gathered all the other accoutrements like tablecloth, napkins, plates, cutlery, etc. Just in the nick of time we were ready to go.


Despite several construction slowdowns we made it to the locks. Kirsten had already staked out a picnic table and with barely more than a snap of my fingers we had a beautiful table with piles of food. At the end of the meal we were surprised with little cakes that Shenna had made for the occasion. Topped with strawberries they were a special treat. We ate and talked and laughed until our butts had fallen asleep on the hard seat. 



Time for a walk down the canal. It was so beautiful.



We had to get back to the dogs so we took our leave, but not before hugs were shared all the way around. After months of having to keep our distance hugs are cherished. I was telling Carm on the way home that I am SO HAPPY that Kirsten and her family have moved back to Canada. 


Back home we did the dishes and then jumped into the pool. The usual chores were done and then we sat down on the sofa with my special playlist serenading us while we looked through our wedding album. Over the years I’ve saved the odd anniversary card so we read through those too. Just as we put all that away, ‘It’s a Wonderful World’, our first song, started playing. Of course, like too middle aged dorks, we danced and told each other how lucky we are :-)


Kirsten




 Headline tonight: 3,615,709 cases with 140,100 death in the US. There are a total of 108,806 (108,486 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 8,810 (8,798 yesterday) deaths today.



“Like a child who saves their favourite food on the plate for last, I try to save all thoughts of you for the end of the day so I can dream with the taste of you on my tongue.”

~Kamand Kojouri


No comments: