Tuesday, July 14, 2020

wrapped up with rapping

I was too busy having fun to remember to take a few photos of Kirsten, the girls, Shawn, and I. I should have had Shawn take a photo of me with Kirsten and the girls. I drove over yesterday for a sleepover (thanks for being so understanding Carm). 


I took the long route as I had to stop by my new doctor’s office to drop off some forms (hurrah, a local doctor!). Then I stopped in a town at the ½ way point to poke around Dollarama. It was the first shopping in months, other than groceries, and felt quite exciting. Thankfully seeing people in masks is starting to normalize for me, and now that they are mandatory it feels less dangerous to be out. 


Ontario has gone to phase 3 which means a lot more stuff is open, including bars (yikes) which  seems like a big mistake. Indoor gatherings of 50 people are now allowed, as long as they keep 2 metres apart. Social circles have remained at 10. My fingers are crossed that it’s not the beginning of another rash of cases - watching the news from the US is scary!!!


There is talk that the ‘social circle’ will expand to 20-25 from 10 but I’m not sure if that will benefit us. You could join another circle of 10 with the understanding that no one else is included, but as soon as you dip into another circle without a mutual agreement the whole idea goes out the window. All 20 people have to agree that this is the only circle to be part of - difficult I would think. For now I’m happy with our little group of 9 :-)


On the billboard last night was the musical ‘Hamilton’ which is conviently being streamed on Disney+. Shawn set up the big speakers for us so we could get the full effect which was awesome. Once the opening chords rang out it took me a few minutes to tune my ear to the rapping but eventually my old stiff brain wrapped it’s way around the words enough for me to get the gist of it. Sadly my knowledge of American history is sorely lacking - time to read up a bit on the founding of their country. It took a bit of time to get used to seeing black actors playing some of the founding fathers - I was confused at first and wondered if some of them were indeed black, although it seemed unlikely given the attitudes back then. The performance was fantastic and we all really enjoyed it.


Carm was holding down the fort at home and wouldn’t have enjoyed the play as he is no great fan of musicals - I could imagine that he might have felt that he was in a special sort of hell. He does suffer through the Sound of Music every year so maybe it’s just an act ;-)


After an abbreviated sleep (the movie was long), I visited for a while and then in a sudden panic dashed home. I get ‘leaving anxiety’ and suddenly I have to go. It’s almost like a mini panic attack… it’s a bit of a pain and not at all pleasant. I have to find a way to get over it as it is rude to suddenly run out the door! Maybe if I set a leaving time when I first get somewhere I’d be calmer? I’m open to suggestions!


the old pals 2 years ago this week. I love that google photos pops these ‘on this day’ photos into my notifications but sometimes they are a little sad to see. At the time I didn’t see how old they were, but looking back...



Headline tonight: 3,545,044 cases with 139,137 deaths in the US. There are a total of 108,486 (107,590 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 8,798 (8,783 yesterday) deaths today.



“BURR: Alexander joins forces with James Madison and John Jay to write a series of essays defending the new United States Constitution, entitled The Federalist Papers. The plan was to write a total of 25 essays, the work divided evenly among the three men. In the end, they wrote 85 essays, in the span of six months. John Jay got sick after writing 5. James Madison wrote 29. Hamilton wrote the other 51.

~Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton: The Revolution

No comments: