Friday, August 7, 2020

blood bath

 I was standing at the kitchen counter preparing some chocolate chip cookies for the oven when I heard the front door being flung open and Carm crying out “I need your help, something bad has happened…”. My stomach did a flip. When I turned around I was shocked to see his whole face streaming with blood. My stomach dropped and I took a big breath . I would have liked to freak out at that point, but what good would that do, so I collected my emotions and got him to the sink so I could wash away the blood and take stock.

He’s got a big (1-2 in) gash just back from his forehead in his hair which may or may not need stitches. The heavy bleeding stopped quickly and since it’s not gaping we figured he’d be okay. 


And how did this misadventure happen? Cutting the grass under the apple trees. I think a heavy hat and eye protection will be used in the future.


Can you believe it’s Friday again? I’ve said this every Friday for 20 weeks now. A bit repetitive but I’m always so shocked that another week has gone by so quickly. Time has not stopped, even though it would be great if it did.


CBC put out a survey asking people how they’ve managed during the pandemic; after giving it some thought I chose the smiley face icon as I feel that for the most part I’ve managed quite well. I read an essay by Rick Steves (the travel guy) about how it felt to be stuck at home and how he’s embraced the opportunity to learn new skills and visit local sites, and I suppose that’s what I’ve done (to a lesser degree).


We had our first bacon & tomato sandwiches tonight, thanks to a bag of tomatoes from Trudie. We’d been there for a distant visit this afternoon and she told me her recipe for garlic sauce… I gave it a whirl when we got home but it was an epic fail. First I used a fragrant olive oil that overpowers the flavour, then it wouldn’t whip up so I ended up throwing in an egg white which is my go-to sauce recipe. It may end up in the compost heap. But the tomatoes were good, and who can complain about bacon!



 Headline tonight: 5,094,759 cases with 164,075 deaths in the US. There are a total of 118,984 (118,514 yesterday) cases of Covid-19 in Canada today, with 8,970 (8,966 yesterday) deaths today.



“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor — such is my idea of happiness.”

Leo Tolstoy

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

I can see where that would be pretty scary. I beat up my arm some cutting the grass around our magnolia trees, I see it could have been worse:(